Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
santa rosa , California
LR couch replacement

Sorry for starting a post that may already exist, but after some hunting, I didn't see one that addresses our "need."

My wife and I are absolutely fed up with the couch arrangement in our 2016 30ft International Signature. I know it sounds very picky, but we find this couch to be incredibly uncomfortable.

When we shopped for an Airstream, we really loved the couch arrangement in the Classic, but for any number of reasons, we chose our International with the horrific couch. Y'all know of the Classic's couch arrangement, right? Two recliners - in one complete unit - placed against the front wall (our bedroom is in the "back"....away from the hitch point of the trailer). This particular arrangement, although not providing a sleeper opportunity, provides users like us a much better experience during those times kicking it in the coach to watch TV.

Anyway, we knocked on the door of Jackson Center, and they apparently can do this but at the astronomical price of close to $10,000. The couch unit alone is almost $7,000 with over $2,000 in labor. Frankly, this seems outrageous to me, which is what brings me to the folks on this forum.

Are any of you aware of after-market firms that do this kind of work at less cost than $10k? We are currently in FL until 3/1, at which point in time we head to CA where we will be for most of March and early April. We then travel east to NY.

Input and feedback is most appreciated.

C&N
travelczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelczar View Post
Sorry for starting a post that may already exist, but after some hunting, I didn't see one that addresses our "need."

My wife and I are absolutely fed up with the couch arrangement in our 2016 30ft International Signature. I know it sounds very picky, but we find this couch to be incredibly uncomfortable.

When we shopped for an Airstream, we really loved the couch arrangement in the Classic, but for any number of reasons, we chose our International with the horrific couch. Y'all know of the Classic's couch arrangement, right? Two recliners - in one complete unit - placed against the front wall (our bedroom is in the "back"....away from the hitch point of the trailer). This particular arrangement, although not providing a sleeper opportunity, provides users like us a much better experience during those times kicking it in the coach to watch TV.

Anyway, we knocked on the door of Jackson Center, and they apparently can do this but at the astronomical price of close to $10,000. The couch unit alone is almost $7,000 with over $2,000 in labor. Frankly, this seems outrageous to me, which is what brings me to the folks on this forum.

Are any of you aware of after-market firms that do this kind of work at less cost than $10k? We are currently in FL until 3/1, at which point in time we head to CA where we will be for most of March and early April. We then travel east to NY.

Input and feedback is most appreciated.

C&N

While doing a lithium battery upgrade on the exact same trailer I had to remove that stupid couch for access.

Well it turns out that this was really easy to do.

So I figure that it comes down to this:
Whatever you can fit in the door and screw to the floor would work fine.

Therefore the $10K quote is ridiculous!
Even some higher density foam would be a great improvement.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Can guarantee one thing, Airstream does not manufacture the classic couch. RV furniture often comes in pieces... the arms are removable at a minimum.

If you are anywhere near a dealer or planning to attend a rally - try to get a really good look at what is UNDER a Classic couch in the same layout. The hidden cost might be having to relocate something lile a converter, etc. In that case it might be a lot less expensive to go with two recliners and an end table that hides whatever might be under your couch.

Of course someone here with a 28 classic could post pictures here.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That does seem like a ridiculously high price for the couch install. We have a 2017 30 Classic and love the couch, but it ain’t worth $10,000! Part of the installation cost may be the electric runs to power the couch, not sure. I had to take our couch out because the wife wanted to have it recovered in cloth. It was a %#@*& to get out. Finally got it done but I thought for a minute I was going to destroy the trailer! The trailer went back to JC while the couch was out and I asked for a quote to put in “wood look” floors instead of the Infinity woven flooring we have...$10,000. We decided at that point we love our Infinity flooring.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Anyway back to the OP...does anybody know anybody in America can do do a custom couch install for the TravelCzar?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
I have:

http://www.capitalcitycustomsinc.com/

Nice folks for sure!