Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
lousy cushion covers

Hey guys
Just got back from our fourth outing in our 2008 27 FB with the "cilantro" decor.

I can't believe the poor quality of the cushion covers.
The material AS chose to cover the seats with is horrible! Not long lasting at all. It's a very thin "non upholstery" type material. (more like something a pillow would be covered in)

After only four outings the fabric is NOT holding up. Wear is beginning to show and by the end of summer will most likely look like crap.

I'm going to look into having all the cushions re-upholstered in leather when they do.

For what we paid for the unit one would think the cushions would last more than one season.

Are you happy with your cushion covers?

Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
CCD Cushion Covers

I looked at a new CCD recently and thought the light colored upholstery was pretty thin looking. Sorry you've had that problem, but not too surprised. The original CCD's had a really stout nylon almost like awning fabric, that got dirty but was very tough. Sounds like the new stuff is really poor.

I now have a Safari Special Edition with the Midnight Sun upholstery. The problem I've had with my upholstery is that it shifts from side to side just because I sit on it. Since it has a stripe, the skew is very obvious. I opened the zipper on one cushion and found that there was bare foam under it. FINE Upholstery is done with foam covered by a lining (usually unbleached muslin) then the upholstery is put on over the muslin. I'm going to redo the one cushion with a proper lining, I expect that since the fabric will no longer cling to the foam, it will shift less when I sit on it.

Replacing with leather would be attractive but expensive, most furniture today has leather only on the seats and inside backs, the surfaces that are not in direct contact with the body are done in a matching man-made leather look-alike. If you do go with leather, covering the foam with muslin will be a must because the raw side of the leather will just eat up the foam if it's in direct contact.

Paula Ford
Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
We have a new 25 FB Int'l and like you, we love the AS but hate the cushions. We felt when we purchased it that the cuschions were crap but otherwise loved the rest of the design. I have scotch guarded all the cushions and keep a small woolite upholstry cleaner on board. After every outing, I scan the cushions for any spots and do a quick clean.

I believe that these cushions will not last long and that we will have to replace them sooner rather than later. What a shame that most of the "stream" is so well built and then it's finished off with crappy cushions. You'd think for that kind of money they would have quality finishing. I'm just going to try to keep these cushions for as long as possible before changing them out. Overall, it's a bummer.

I don't think I'll go with leather, though. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We have a 2005 with the safety orange cushions and are happy with the cusion covers. What we'd like to do though, is find some firmer cushions themselves. The dinette ones are fine, but the ones in the lounge leave a LOT to be desired. They are not comfortable at all for more than a few minutes of sitting. Watching movies on rainy days is not comfortable.

Has anyone with a CCD or Safari upgraded the cushions in the lounge? If so, what did you upgrade to?
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Are you happy with your cushion covers?
Not really. We have the same interior. I don't think the material on the cushions will hold up very long.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

You would think that something as visual and well-used as upholstry would be given more importance. A '76 Caravanner I bought in '88, sold 6 years ago still has the original cushions and fabric in very good condition even after being removed and dry cleaned twice. Of course, its the gold brocade flower pattern of the day - not "cilantro"! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Some of the smooth fabrics sure have looked prone to early wear. We have the textured midnight sun fabric. It's not real tough but doesn't show dirt and will take some wear until I have to make a decision. Silvertwinkie went with the ultrasuede factory option. To protect it from kids and dogs he puts throws over it to protect -- defeats the purpose?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Our 04 28 safari has the big green olives for a design and seems to be holding up real well. I agree Airstream needs to be more on the ball for durability. Can you go after them on warranty?
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Brad has that upholstery and it is soiling over all more than spot issues. Flipping it looks like an entirely different fabric and we can't flip the contour cushions. I want to clean them but not sure how to do it. I looked in the owners manual. Am I reading correctly on upholstery, have you checked the manual?

E Interior Page E-1
"The lounge and curtain fabric should be cleaned regularly before substances such as dirt, roof particles, etc., are allowed to accumulate on and become embedded in the fabric. The fabric can be cleaned without being removed from installation. Simply brush off any loose dirt, roof particles, etc.: hose down and clean with with a mild solution of mild soap in lukewarm water (no more than 100 degrees F.) Rinse thoroughly to remove soap. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS. Allow to air dry."

It goes on to say for stubborn cases to soak for 20 minutes in a special solution of nonclorine bleach and soap, etc.

what the?

Paula good tips, I may try lining the cushions, my covers shift alot!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Just another case where Airstream could have applied the 5 P's.
Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

This should be posted on their design room wall.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Just another case where Airstream could have applied the 5 P's.
Proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
Uhhh....I count 6.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Yea thats right ,it's 6P's.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
So any thoughts on cleaning the upholstery? Should I leave the cushions in the Airstream and hose them off after clearing off the roof debris like the manual says, you think? Any idea how to remove the water at that point?

photography
Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
So any thoughts on cleaning the upholstery? Should I leave the cushions in the Airstream and hose them off after clearing off the roof debris like the manual says, you think? Any idea how to remove the water at that point?
Well......on our first trip out a friend spilled a whole cup of coffee with cream all over the dinette seat cushion! We figured it was ruined and decided we had nothing to loose so we threw it into the laundry....we let it air dry. The cover came out fresh and somewhat new looking.
Aside from this they still are lousy cushions!

What are the cushions in the Classic series covered in? They look leatherish...vinyl? They look like they would last with two growing boys.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We have the textured Stratus stripe fabric and it's tough as nails. Although it slips a very little (I might try the muslin for the dinette cushions-thnx Paula) we've had no other issues, and we have three dogs, and the frequent clueless visitor. No coffee spills, but lots of sand, grit and the general camping detritus. We had to special order the fabric for all the seating or we would have had to live with a solid beige non-textured fabric that would clearly be doomed early on.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
And the cleaning thing? Carol, you've got to be kidding. Even leaving the covers on the foam cushions doesn't make sense! And of course the crummy instructions can't mean that you actually clean them in place. Can you imagine the mildew/mold issues? Blecchh.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Its got to be an error, roof debris, inside? Nutty manual, probably farmed it out to be printed. I really like that stratus stripe so pretty and feels so cushy, pictures don't do it justice.

Millvalleyca the ultraleather (vinyl) wipes right up and seems to wear well except for the slipping. I use those leather/vinyl cleaner premoistened sheets that pull out the top and it goes right through the dirt and shines and protects them, though just wiping with a damp cloth would take care of it. Had kids eat chocolate cake and it was a breeze to clean up and the pet hairs and dirt wipe off. I had thought I missed the nappy upholstery but I have grown to appreciate the easy care. But slip covers are always fun if you see what you like and feel like a change.

photography
Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, back in the 04 model year, we opted for the "Spice trader" fabric scheme. If I recall, it was about a grand for the upgrade. The fabric is very stout. I have not seen the others that were available at the time.

Attached are some shots of the material. I will warn you that the pics were that of the day I went to pick up the Safari, just off the line by say a week. There was a leak, later found in the wheel well that cause it, but that's a whole different thread. This one is to show the spice trader fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	54746   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	54747  

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote