Old 03-09-2004, 02:22 PM   #1

Looking for NOS replacement Shower curtian track and curtian riders

Howdy all,
Just bought a 64 Globetrotter and one of the first priorities is giving the naked people in the shower a little more priviacy. (Not that I'm sitting on the couch complaining....but THEY are).
The trailer is missing the original channel track on the shower ceiling for the curtian riders to glide in. Its a sculptured curved track. Does anyone have any idea where I might obtain the correct track...OEM...NOS? I'd hate to just start rigging up something else.... its just not right.
Thanks
TiredIron

Old 03-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Shower Curtain Track

I believe that I saved mine but I'll have to check. It may not be the same extrusion but should be close. Do you have a length it needs to be. I feel bad for the people in the shower, not you for sitting on the couch

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looking for NOS replacement Shower curtian track and curtian riders

Greetings TiredIron!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
The trailer is missing the original channel track on the shower ceiling for the curtian riders to glide in.
I am not sure whether the single axle '64 Airstreams had the same bath arrangements as the larger tandem axle trailers, but I do know that most if not all of the larger tandem axle trailers had a folding vinyl shower door that attached to the bulkhead wall and folded out matching the curvature of the base unit with a wall mounted arm to attach the top of the "accordian door" (it only goes about 3/4 of the way to the ceiling so there were no attachment points on the ceiling). It is rare to find a coach with a clean, functional vinyl folding shower door - - I know that when Fowler Interiors refurbished the interior of my Overlander, the only option at that time was to add the shower curtain (the track was the same as that used in more recent coaches).

When I get home, I will check my '64 Airstream sales literature and see if it metions or shows anything pertaining to the shower curtain/door arrangements.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

- - - Checked my sales literature and both '64 and '65 shows both curtains and the folding shower door in phtos/illustrations of coaches in the literature. It is not clearly stated whether the difference depends upon trailer model; Land Yacht or International; or simply optional feature for any coach. My copy of the '64 optional equipment list must be with the Overlander in storage as I didn't find it with the sales literature here at the house.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Mine doesn't have a folding door but a track attached to the ceiling. I can offer pictures - if that would help you in your search. I have not be able to find glides that fit the track. The slot is quite wide. You may be better off just buying a new one.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
My 67 GT had the same problem, but, at least I had the track still rivited to the bath. I found replacement tabs (a 1/2 inch long piece of plastic with a ball end on it.) at Camping World. Next my wife found a heavy duty shower curtain close to the same color at Wal-Mart. After that, some trial and error fitting, folding over the top edge of the curtain with the ball ends protruding, a pass thru the sewing machine, putting on the snaps at the bottom and sides. It's good to keep the water in and the cold out. Probably spent less than $20. Good Luck, Tom
Old 03-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #6

Thanks...I'm only interested in the track system that attaches to the ceiling .....

I do have the accordian door that closes off the whole bathroom area.... I'm just missing the track system for the Shower Curtian....to keep the water "in the shower". A picture would be great. I'll have to improvise if I can't find an original.
Thanks
TiredIron
walt054@attglobal.net
Old 03-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
I'll see if I can get some pictures and measure the track this weekend. If I remember the track is fairly narrow and I don't think I have ever seen anything similar excert in a conversion van I had once.
TN
Old 03-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Went over and took a photo of the track and tab in the bath. The trak is 3/4 in wide and the area where the ball of the tab rides is 1/4 inch wide. Over at the home center I have found aluminium channel that fits over the edges of plywood. It might be possible to squeeze the sides of the 1/4 inch stock to fit the tabs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tab 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	5217  
Old 03-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: Looking for NOS replacement Shower curtian track and curtian riders

Quote:
Originally posted by TiredIron
Howdy all,
Just bought a 64 Globetrotter and one of the first priorities is giving the naked people in the shower a little more priviacy. (Not that I'm sitting on the couch complaining....but THEY are).
Thanks
TiredIron
Hey, TiredIron! Welcome!

I'm sure that all of the other folks here can give you loads of info on your shower curtain... I have questions! First, just how many naked people do you have in your shower? Second... how did you get them to into your shower naked, knowing that there's no shower door? Third... if they're showering naked without a door, and continue to do so... what do they have to complain about? Fourth... why haven't we ALL been invited to observe this new spectator's sport? And last... if uh... never mind... discretion being the better part of valor)!!!

Roger