Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Looking for a bed for 28' Argosy

I have no idea where to put this. We want the front bed to bed a queen/full size bed where it would be a flip up - ie be a couch unless at night. The size to fit the bed is 7 feet ( 84 " ) ie in half as a couch otherwise.
We haven't found anything that is a couch/bed conversion ....
Can anyone give help/suggestions/links that might help?

Our trailer is a 1976 Argosy 28'. Width is standard but its the length is the issue trying to find something that would be a couch during the day- then a bed at night.
We have the original but obviously not useable. ( photo available )
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Aussie Airstreamer

1976 Argosy 28
Warner Robins , Georgia
We had the same problem with our Argosy but had no luck finding anything we liked. Also, all the nice sofa beds would be difficult to disassemble to get through the door.
We decided on a dinette that easily converts to a bed, which is bigger than a king!
Buswell Mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We used an l-shaped ikea couch which has storage under one "leg" of the L and a trundle under the other "leg" of the L which pulls out easily and pops up to make a very comfortable bed in 15 seconds. We had to modify it but it was soooo worth it. Most Ikea furniture is modular and can fit through your door!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Great suggestions !
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I am looking at the Ikea as absolution as well. Could you post a picture of the bed ? Also how comfortable is it?

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We used an l-shaped ikea couch which has storage under one "leg" of the L and a trundle under the other "leg" of the L which pulls out easily and pops up to make a very comfortable bed in 15 seconds. We had to modify it but it was soooo worth it. Most Ikea furniture is modular and can fit through your door!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
I am looking at the Ikea as absolution as well. Could you post a picture of the bed ? Also how comfortable is it?
I would love to see pictures as well if possible.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Hey 28

There is a company that makes good quality RV furniture. I think it is called Flexsteel.

I had a beat up uncomfortable gaucho type sofa in my Argosy. I went to a reapolstery ( spelling fail ) shop, and purchased a double bed sized piece of foam. I got medium density as the high density was like a rock. I had them cut it into two pieces. I did the same for my dinette. I end up always leaving them configured as beds because I really only sleep and shower in my camper.

I mostly go to music festivals and don't spend much time " indoors". If I were to spend extensive time in my camper, without hundreds of friends cooking and playing music non stop, I guess I would want a comfy spot to relax and watch television.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
We have the original bed, and considered that in taking the foam as the pattern, so replace with new foam and slip cover.
Here's a flash from the past ( one middle panel is missing in the picture)