Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Thank you again for all your thoughts. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and really think about what I can take out, what is going to stay that I will have to clean and if the smell will go away! I really do not like smoke smell, so it does make me nervous, but I think with all the demo/reno we want to do in the inside we should be good... Now we'll see what my extra sensitive husband thinks when we go tomorrow... and I'm bringing a couple other people for even more opinions! Can't be too careful!
lifeincolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
I totally agree about cars, you're right, so many soft goods. But I'm thinking since we are painting everything and taking out the soft goods it's different than a car?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The smell gets in the insulation in the walls and in the wood.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It can be cleaned and ozone treated.

All trailers smell, new or used, tobacco or something else to which someone is "sensitive".

Paint is the wrong approach. On an Airstream maybe it wouldn't matter as there are so many of them. On one of the vintage kin trailers -- better in nearly every respect. -- there aren't so many in otherwise original condition that this wouldn't ruin it. Work with what you have to get the best long term result.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It depends-
How sensitive is your sense of smell and how bad are your allergies and sinuses?
I can always smell smoke in a smokers house or a burned and renovated house.
I don't believe you can possibly get the scent out of the insulation and wood.
We just bought a new car because the used 2013 with 14,000 miles that we looked at smelled like cigarettes.
Our first trailer was used. We walked through dozens of smoky trailers during the shopping. We still walk through a bunch of smoky trailers when browsing at RV dealerships. As soon as I walk in, I turn right around and walk out because the slightest exposure will send my sinuses into a daze. I will be sick with a sinus infection for 2 weeks just for one breath of cigarette smoke-
For me, I would absolutely never, ever buy a house, car, or trailer that had been smoked in.
If your sense of smell isn't as keen as mine or you don't have allergy/sinus trouble it may be OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The smell gets in the insulation in the walls and in the wood.
Hi, I'm with m.hony; They say a dog can smell one drop of urine in a swimming pool, well I can smell that one cigarette that was smoked in that car/trailer/house ten years ago. I am very sensitive to smoke and I guarantee that you will never get it all out. NEVER. I also was going to mention the insulation in the walls, but m.hony beat me to it. But for you less sensitive people out there, you might get it acceptable for you.

If there was no such thing as Diesels and cigarettes, this World would smell a lot better.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, when looking for a new F-150, my dealer found one in Reno, Nevada. They had to send a driver to pick it up and bring it to Salem, Oregon. I asked them if their driver smoked. I told them that if my truck had a smell from cigarettes, the deal was off. They put my truck on a trailer and hauled it to the dealer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, when looking for a new F-150, my dealer found one in Reno, Nevada. They had to send a driver to pick it up and bring it to Salem, Oregon. I asked them if their driver smoked. I told them that if my truck had a smell from cigarettes, the deal was off. They put my truck on a trailer and hauled it to the dealer.
I'm in Salem too! How funny. Ok now my goal is to not tell you if I got a previously smoked in trailer, fix it up and have you come over and see what you smell.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeincolor View Post
I'm in Salem too! How funny. Ok now my goal is to not tell you if I got a previously smoked in trailer, fix it up and have you come over and see what you smell.
Hi, I still think the Avions are cool; Let me know when it's ready for the sniff test. I'll be right over.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Life is too short to put up with any second-hand smoke smell.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am a smoker and even I don't like the smell of a car or trailer that someone smokes in. I don't smoke in the TV or the trailer.
It is not true that smokers have no sense of smell.
The trailer I bought 5 years ago was owned by a smoker. I could smell it the minute I opened the door. That stale smell.
I scrubbed the entire inside of the coach with Simple Green. Every surface I had access to. Inside cabinets and all.
The air conditioner was the biggest challenge. But I was successful.
My wife is a non smoker. She says she can't tell the trailer was owned by a smoker.
I am not a fan of painting the inside of a classic. It seems to change the character.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote