Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Lift struts for access to under bed storage...

I know this topic has been mentioned here somewhere but dogone if I can find it anywhere. We are finally getting around to placing the struts (lifts?) under the mattress to help lift the bed for access.

Our mattress lifts from the side. How do we know where exactly to place the struts??? If anyone has any pictures of this process, please help!

Thanks in advance...

Phil & Edee
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might find something here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...age-36354.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...bed-30161.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...bed-11602.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Now... why couldn't I find my old post???

Thanks Ricky... that's the post I was looking for! Guess I really need some training on the vagaries of the forum.... I tried "lifts" "struts" "under bed storage" "mattress lifts" "mattress struts"... and more. Also Advanced Search....

What did you use as a key word??? I'd appreciate getting more effective on this stuff!

Thanks again....Edee

PS... I did do a Google search and got two pictures of the installation method...
Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
for some reason unknown to me, when you do a "search" the results are ummmmm, 'incomplete'. after you post, a nice list of related threads show up at the bottom of the page when you scroll all the way down the page.

using the google search with airforums.com and the key words you want is fruitful too.

now everyone knows my secret!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee View Post
How do we know where exactly to place the struts??? If anyone has any pictures of this process, please help!

Thanks in advance...

Phil & Edee
Go to: McMaster-Carr and do a site search for "Gas Struts" and there is a chart and formula for determining locations and sizes for exactly what you are looking to do. Their prices seem high, IMHO. I just ordered new struts for our queen bed. We replaced the Airstream foam mattress with an innerspring queen mattress from Verlo and that sucker is HEA-VEE. I ordered two 120 lb struts/gas springs/gas props from www.truckboxshop.com for $15 each. You will need the mounting brackets. If you go to the photos in the first link above you will be able to see the brackets you need. They are a couple of bucks each and should be available at the same web site.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Victory!!!!

Thanks, Minnie... that site is really full of information! Phil has installed the struts and they work fine!!! Our problem was that we, too, have a big ol' pillowtop mattress ... sleeps wonderfully.... lifts not at all! Now even I can lift the thing and get whatever I want from underneath..

We also have our new Konecto flooring down and a new faucet in the kitchen!! We're ready to roll on the 10th of October!

Phil & Edee
Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad to help. BTW, what size struts did you use? I ordered 120 lbs struts. If the two are too much to be able to push the bed back down I figure I can use one of the original 90's and one of the 120's. But as heavy as our bed is I can't imagine that they will be too much.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Hmmm..

Wow.. Phil doesn't know what they were! We got them from Greg (Roadtoaster) (thanks again, Greg) after he converted his queen bed to twins. I know Phil could barely push them down a half inch or so manually! It sure is great being able to get under the bed now!!! We just put some of our few Christmas decorations under there today....^_^ what a snap!

Edee
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That's OK. I bought a pair at Auto Zone and they weren't marked. They looked much more heavy duty so I was sure they were a lot stronger. They were only marginally so. At least the bed doesn't fall on its own now and I don't have to brace it with my shoulder while I get the grill out from under the bed.
WBCCI# 4821