Old 02-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Safair 28W is home

Quote:
Originally posted by hohne
We got the optional 15 inch LCD TV, and that system has greatly exceeded my expectations.
Rob what brand of TV is that? I'd love to put one into the bedroom of our new Classic, especially finding that mount that you have.

Regards,

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I will post exact model numbers when I am back home...

The TV is a Sharp LCD. The swivel mount is by another manufacturer, and it contained a warranty card. The CD/DVD/Tuner is JVC.

Dunno if the power boost and filter comes with the classic antenna -- but it works extremely well.

I had the impression from the factory guys that the JVC unit was brand new to AS and mine was one of the first off the line.

-Rob

Old 02-02-2004, 02:19 PM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
I've seen some Sharp LCD TV's at Best Buy. Let me know your model and the model of that mount. I'm planning on pulling off the fold down mirror in the bedroom. I know the Classic has the amplified antenna jack in the bedroom so it should be a matter of getting the mount on the wall and I'm home free from there.

Thanks!

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-02-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Jack,
I've been researching LCD TVs since I bought one for the new Classic. Most of the LCDs come with universal mounting holes on the back. So you just find a tv that you personally like and the mount should work. Check the prices at www.ibuydigital.com as they were the best I could find.

They have many kinds of mounts that will work. Check out the mounts at Best Buy and Circiut City. I found one with a beefy arm that swivles in every direction for $99.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

The one in our airstream is similar to the articulating arm mount shown on that site -- but ours has a positive locking pin to keep it from moving -- I did not see that feature in those...

-RobH
Old 02-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
They have many kinds of mounts that will work. Check out the mounts at Best Buy and Circiut City. I found one with a beefy arm that swivles in every direction for $99.
The key is how to mount since the wall sits adjacent to the shower. I'm not sure what that wall is constructed of and how much weight it can carry. The other issue is the fact that you have to be able to lock the arm down since the TV is going to be subject to much more vibration and movement in the rear of the trailer. I picked up a couple of 15" LCD TV's the other day at Costco which were sitting on pedestals. They aren't the lightest things in the world.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I will give you the weight of everything, too.

I think the bulkheads in our Safari are plywood...but I am not 100% sure.

I will examine how AS mounted the mount -- it also has shock mounts against the back of the TV when the TV is locked to absorb vibration, on 4 post supports. It appears a lot of thought went into the mount...

The production manager made it a point (during our tour) to tell us to make sure it is locked down before we tow -- he said it would beat the wall and cabinet up if it was not...and it would not do the TV much good. He siad he has had a couple of them in for service after it happenend...

Another surprising thing was that the TV has a temperature limit under storage conditions of -4 degrees F. I went out and turned it on (being a nerdy engineer) when it was close to zero and the coach was about 10 degrees F. The TV operated, but the image did not refresh at full speed. I had a thermometer in there to see how cold it got).

-RobH
Old 02-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Jack,
We've been looking at LCD-TV's for our previous R/V but stopped when we started the purchase process with our new Safari. We are going to revisit it now mainly for the rear bedroom location. (Replace the fold-down mirror with a LCD). Most all of these smaller LCD-TV's have a 'VESA' std. 4-hole mount built into the unit. There are a number of mounts available, our Circuit City seemed to have more variety than Best Buy. I had ruled out the front location because the free swinging arms I had seen had no way to easily secure them. I wonder what the A/S fact. is using. Perhaps RobH could shed some light on this.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I will most likely use the mount that tilts but stays on the wall (no arm) for the bedroom. If the wall is strong enough for the fold down shelf then it should hold a small LCD mounted.

As for the arm mount, I did not think about that locking pin. That would be important to have. I am not going to mount the LCD in the livingroom. I want to wrap it and store on the floor when traveling for safety.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
I I want to wrap it and store on the floor when traveling for safety.
Maybe that's the best way to eliminate stress on the wall while you are traveling.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd be real interested in what you all find about mounting the units....I was looking into it when I ordered my 04 and the dealer said that the DVD/LCD package was in the ballpark of $1100.

Needless to say....I passed on it.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
The one unit we saw that had the factory LCD option during our shopping was a 28' or 30' Classic. It had the 13" Sharp Aquos (sp?) (speakers on the bottom/not sides) in it with the VESA swing arm mounting. I didn't pay attention to any means of securing it for travel as has been mentioned here. It was in the front of the trailer facing fwd!....
Old 02-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

A Mystery Partially solved...

All,

It looks like the mount is semi-custom.

The paperwork I have is for a VESA 75/100 CL Cantilever mount. However, it appears to me that it has been customized...

Ordinarily, the mount screws into the wall with two screws...and the arm swings out and bolts into the back of the TV with x-style standard mounting. The documentation says the mount is screwed into the wall with #12 by 2 1/2 Stainless steel screws.

Airstream appears to have 'modified' this in a practical, duplicatable way (wish I had a digital camera -- I will borrow one and take picts for those who want to duplicate it...)

The fitting that bolts into the wall is attached to a plate, that appears to be aluminum. This plate is attached to the wall with quantity 10 #6 or #8 screws. The plate is about 10 inches square. So the mount is screwed to the plate, that is screwed to the wall...to spread out the stress and to give the capability to use shorter screws...

Mounted on this plate (which I think AS did -- it has the that look) is a bullet-catch mechanism. The x-style mounting plate on the TV side has another add-in plate with a L-bracket with the male part of the catch. The female part (on the wall) has a spring-loaded pin-catch that has to be released to let the TV loose.

I know a picture is worth 1000 words -- just about any cantelever mount could be modified in this way to allow the use of shallower screws.

-Rob
Old 02-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Model Numbers...

Our TV is a Sharp AQUOS LC-15E1U tv, mounted on the wall over the dinnette facing foward when locked down. It can be swung to face rearward to view from the rear Queen. Recall we have a 28W, with the dinnette and the l-couch.

It weighs 9.9 pounds.

The CD/DVD/Tuner is a JVC KD-DV5000

The speakers are JVC CS-XV620