Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I found this on their site, click product drawing under download .pdf files and it will give a list of part numbers.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

...that is the beastie.

Airstream took the bullet part off the supplied metal holder for it and used the nuts and washers to attach it to the sheet metal bracket they fabricated for the back of the TV.

I bet there is a bin at Airstream with 500 of those latches...

I have to push the button to release the catch. The catch does not really have audible feedback when it catches -- I find myself giving it a tug to see if it latched -- but it aways has so far.

A substitute could be a bolt that receives a pin of some sort. Might be a bit safer, because I am not sure what would happen if the spring breaks in the cool latch.

I had no idea there are so many latches...

-Rob
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thumbs up A+ for Effort

Rob,
I really appreciate the effort you went through to answer my/our questions. Your 2 cents is valuable, but the photo is "priceless". (couldn't resist!).

Really, the photo helps me a great deal. We have decided to go with the 15" Sharp and was undecided on wall mount options. At 1st I was going to simplify & not use the articulated arm mount but now... I'll have to give this a little more thought and see if I can fabricate a 'latch' of some kind. The idea of a 'dead' pin of some kind is within my garage capabilities. I have a lot of sail boat stainless h/w laying around waiting for a project like this.

Again Thanks for your effort...I'll send you some "Karma" .

-Ed
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good gosh this gets complicated. (Don't let Super Bowl half-time producers find out about partsexpress.com tho...) This thread has reached a new peak of expertise displayed by our members. Huzzah-huzzah!

Similar thread, just a different approach to mounting: Thoughts on flat screen tv

Me? I wanna boondock and don't even need a remote. I only get two channels -- hardwood and softwood. The fire ring can be masonry or steel.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:18 PM   #45
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I hear you, Bob.
I usually bring a little portable 12V TV with built in Video, just in case of withdrawals. I prefer the fire ring and the conversation with family and friends, but a little bit of watching news before going to sleep is always a good thing, in my book.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:34 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Boy! I learned alot!

I have learned quite a bit over what is out there, thanks !
Old 02-10-2004, 06:01 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

...I myself prefer the fire, too. The TV is for Monday night football in the driveway, so my wife does not stress about the state of the house anymore. AS also serves as guest quarters.

We have two small girls, and they actually prefer the outside, too. We have had 'Saturday Nght at the Movies' in the AS, and I fold the dinnette down into a bed for them as they watch their movie. I can sit on the L-couch with DW. Even though we have much larger TV in the house, the girls clamour every day for when the next movie night will be...

I have gotten so much help from this forum, I do not mind a bit giving back...seems like we all get a lot more than we give here..
Old 02-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Funny that you mention hanging out in the Airstream in the drive.....we do it all the time.....we camp in it every once in a while over the winter....we find though that it sure does add the cabin fever........

Now for the on thread question:

If you are in a cold climate...and I mean below zero, would it be a good idea to take the LCD panel out? I think it would, but wanted to bounce the idea off folks to see if it's a valid thought....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Cold and LCD Screens...

Recently, it was 9 below here in Dayton. That morning, I went into the Airstream and a thermometer I had in there was at +10.
Balmy, heh? There was a layer of snow on the top, that probably helped a bit.

I, of course, turned on the TV to see if it is alive. It was, but the refresh was slow so the image echoed across the screen, but it was warm enough to function.

There was no wind. I have found that the Airstream stays above ambient temp outside, in winter.

The Sharp LCD says it is good to -4 under storage.

As mine is in my driveway, I would simply keep the coach above zero in a bad cold snap. Nine below is pretty cold for here...and does not happen terribly often. I remember a couple of nasty ones down to minus 20, but I have been in Dayton for 40 years.

I do not know what cold can do to them, or how squishy the cold storage limit is...I bet somebdoy reading this does, though...

-Rob
Old 02-10-2004, 07:40 AM   #50
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you do bring the lcd inside and it is very cold wrap it in a plastic bag, towel, anything to stop condensation as it warms.

John
Old 02-10-2004, 10:08 AM   #51
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for all the great info on the LCD!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
This is news to me. I'm aware of rapid warm-up condensation problems (with all electronics, cameras, etc.) but, Can a LCD TV or lap-top be permanently damaged due to cold?
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

...we could put a laptop in a freezer, and find out...
Old 02-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #54
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Nearly all electronics I have seen have safe storage and operating temperature ranges. I would think especially hard drives would be sensitive, the distance from the heads to the platters and rotation resistance would be affected by the temperature.

John
Old 02-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #55
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
13.3 LCD Monitor

I just found this one, I think I might order it.
A small enough size for the small sleeping compartment in my trailer, but larger than my 9" TV combo.
It has speakers built in, and plenty hookups for video sources and computers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...205-410&ctab=7
Old 02-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #56
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by hohne
...we could put a laptop in a freezer, and find out...
I seem to recall PC Mag does that when the have their annual laptop test issue Seems quite a few of them will operate at extreme temps. But with a LCD if it is below a certain temp the LCD is not going to work, think of the times you have worn a LCD watch outside in the winter, or used a LCD multimeter or... Much below about 25 degrees F the LCD display dissapears, doesn't appear to hurt it but you can't read it. I would be interested to see if this holds true for the televisions too. But then again they could build in an internal warmer, and if they haven't I claim patent rights to it

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:57 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

...have additional photos of LCD mount in our photo gallery...
Old 11-19-2004, 06:51 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohne
Picture of Mount...have more if anyone needs them...
Rob,
Thanks for all your information on your mounting system. I have a 15" LCD that I would like to mount on the galley bulkhead wall. I have a 3 way (tilt, swivel and pan) mount. but it does not have the ability to lock. I like the idea of your locking mount! The lock and rubber bumpers are something I would like to make in the future! I think that I would be a little worried about the TV under way. For now we will just take the tv off of the arm and put in a drawer while we tow.
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:27 AM   #59
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
LCD mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Rob,
Thanks for all your information on your mounting system. I have a 15" LCD that I would like to mount on the galley bulkhead wall. I have a 3 way (tilt, swivel and pan) mount. but it does not have the ability to lock. I like the idea of your locking mount! The lock and rubber bumpers are something I would like to make in the future! I think that I would be a little worried about the TV under way. For now we will just take the tv off of the arm and put in a drawer while we tow.
Abe
I bought my LCD and mount from Wall Mart and while it doesn't have a "LOCKING" device, I have found that by tightning the swivel screws it holds fine when on the road. It cost $80.00 and I have the Sanyo 15" LCD mounted on it.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote