Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
L shaped couch 2013 international

What have you done to make the L shaped couch more comfortable?

What can be done to the cushions?

This is horrible ... We love our new AS, and I am fully aware that the recliners would have been more comfortable ...

Anyway, I m just curious what ya ll have done to your couch
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We added a small storage ottoman. We can prop our feet up and that helps a bunch. We went back and forth between recliners and couch and decided to buy the trailer on the lot with the couch. We figured we might miss having all the extra storage.
Amazon.com: Kennedy Home Collection 15-Inch Faux Leather Folding Ottoman, Black: Home & Kitchen
This particular ottoman was inexpensive and folds flat if you want to store it. We figured if we didn't like it we weren't out too much money.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Buy a better grade of foam for the cushions.Any upholstery shop can remove and install the foam for you.Or there are how to videos on Youtube.
The foam that comes from the factory is horrible (it is like sitting on a rock).And if you got fabric and not leatherette that is another story

........I wonder if anyone at Airstream has ever sat on their L shaped couch, if so I can not imagine that they would continue to use the hard as rock foam and Sunbrella fabric.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just returning home after 4 weeks on the road with my Int'l. This is the longest stretch since I bought it, and while I wasn't thrilled with it before, I have grown to hate it. Even with the Ultraleather, it's just a poor design. Think it has to with the combination of the height (too high) and the seat width. So, I'm going to relook this aspect of my trailer...which is the only major "hate it" that I've found. I will probably pull it out -- along with the front storage unit, build some kind of pseudo table over the HW heater and subwoofer, and install a couple of nice recliners. I know I'm not going to live with it the way it is. (Oh, and I've tried a footstool, which helps, but not enough.) I absolutely do not ever expect to force someone to sleep on the L-Seat, either!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
we found a lightweight ottoman that has a lid and we can pu things inside and that helps a bit.

I have found, as BAB did, that the seat is too high, the depth is difficult and there is no slant to the seat ... It's just a flat shelf. I have found that if I pull out the "pull out" to the under edge of the foam seat that I don't feel as if I am sliding off the front edge.

I would like to re do the cushions to have a bolster on the front edge but not sure how to accomplish that. I suppose that the back "lean" cushions are acceptable.

On the other hand, if I did not get the L couch I would not have the nice little cubbie storage with outside access at front street side.

My feeling is that it needs to be softer but maybe thicker with the bolster. If ya'll know how the furniture makers might fix this, let us know.

The couch (why are they called Gaucho? I thought that was a South American cowboy) in our 82 Excella was not "all that" but it was better than this.

Thanks for all the input.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote