Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Hubbards , Nova Scotia
Killing mildew? Is bleach the only answer?

I'm new...so bear with me if I ask a question which may have already been addressed here.. We have recently acquired a 1969 29' Ambassador which has been literally 'closed up' for 10 years. The interior seems to not have had any direct water leaks, however, there is tons of mildew from condensation. We have removed one of the doors and washed lightly with a light solution of Clorox and water. It came up beautifully. All cabinetry is covered with this white powdery mildew but it is good to know that it is all salvageable. Question.....do I have to use Clorox? or would it be possible to simply clean it with say, tea tree oil or another more environmentally friendly product? I am armed with gloves, suit, and respirator mask if it is deemed necessary that I use Clorox. As mentioned, mold does not seem to be the culprit.
missmarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our only positive experience with mildew is water & Clorox. You don't need a terribly potent formula to do the job, but I'm not aware of anything else that will do the trick. You could probably Google it and see what you find out.

Aside from getting rid of the mildew, a Clorox solution will also disinfect, and I'd probably hit every washable surface with it if it has been closed up 10 years.

Good luck.

Maggie

Tags
bleach, mildew, mold, cleaning