Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
It was a good day to build a bunk

We are getting ready for our second trip in our tradewind. The first was a test run to find out what was wrong. After that trip, we knew we needed to get bunks built so that the kids could each have a bed and my wife and I didn't need to share beds wi the kids. Well, we had a guy come out to build them for us, but he couldn't get them done in time (we leave this weekend for Disney) so I tackled it myself today. I researched a lot here on the forum and combind several different ideas that I had seen.

I took a $59 camping cot from Walmart and built a frame for it. There are 3/4" plywood walls mounted at the ends resting on the floor and a support frame built on that. This is for my 8 year old son to sleep on, he is about 50 pounds right now. I told myself that I wouldn't make him sleep on something that wouldn't support me, so I climbed my 190lb body up on it when I was finished. Moving gingerly at first, I soon got confident that I was safe.

It was a good day for me in my camper. I am looking forward to our trip this weekend. We had frame work and plumbing work done by a professional, and a bunk built by dad!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Photos please!!! We are going to be putting In a bunk in the next few years...wondering in any one ever put one above the front gaucho? Where is yours located?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
My schedule is crazy this week, but we are taking it out to Disney this weekend so hopefully I will be able to get some photos while we are getting ready. I will also try to break down what I did, since that is what I was looking for when I was designing mine.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
You may have seen pictures of the bunks we built for our seven kids. We used Coleman camping cots. Six of the kids are still asleep n them as I type this. They are very lightweight and comfortable. We considered a removable bunk above the front gaucho but really wanted the kids all in the back. We tried to find a mid-bath sir stream with a three-bay closet across from the bath so we could build two bunks in the closet area, but we did not find one at the right price. I'd ratter have three sets of double bunks and one folding chair floor bunk instead of two sets of triples and one floor bunk, but it was a compromise.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero
You may have seen pictures of the bunks we built for our seven kids. We used Coleman camping cots. Six of the kids are still asleep n them as I type this. They are very lightweight and comfortable. We considered a removable bunk above the front gaucho but really wanted the kids all in the back. We tried to find a mid-bath sir stream with a three-bay closet across from the bath so we could build two bunks in the closet area, but we did not find one at the right price. I'd ratter have three sets of double bunks and one folding chair floor bunk instead of two sets of triples and one floor bunk, but it was a compromise.
Wow I thought I was brave with four kids. Good to here there are others out there.

When we had two kids I built Perkins t bucks where one of the beds in the middle were.

No we have 4 kids. What I did was build two couches in the middle. The backs then fold up and legs drop down, and I have four beds. It has worked great on this last trip. And I seat mode it's really nice to have all the room

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Pitman, I have seen some of your photos, you do nice work!