Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Is this an AS

http://www.industrial-nanotech.com/nansulate.htm
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
What are you asking about this? That's some kind of clearcoat, I don't think what Airstream uses. The insulating capability is cool (dare I say, almost organic ). I still wouldn't want to use it--it's translucent! That means that while all that effort getting a sparkly (watch yourself 59, no potty humor intended here ) shine end up hidden.

Mary
Old 06-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Look at the top middle picture on the link he sent.... might be, maybe, an Airstream from the unfinished inside?
And doesn't translucent mean you can see through it?.....
Nansulate cures to form a durable Translucent finish, which allows for visual and ultrasound inspection of the metal condition of pipes, tanks,etc..
Seems like you have to be able to see htrough it to 'allow for visual...... inspection of the metal......'

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 06-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
You are right, this might be inside an airstream--I didn't really look at it. I'll copy it below.

No, transparent means that something is clear. Translucent means that light can get through, but it is obscured. When I get a full polish on my trailer, I won't want anything to obscure it, so translucent is out.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top_nansulate.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	12720  
Old 06-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

When I see gobbledegook like this, my snake-oil detector begins flashing:

"How it Works: The insulating component of Nansulate is a material we call Hydro-NM-Oxide. Passage of thermal energy through an insulating material is an attempt by hotter, fast vibrating molecules to transfer energy to cooler, slow vibrating molecules in order to reach equilibrium. It occurs in three ways; solid conductivity, gaseous conductivity, and radiative (infrared) transmission. The total of these is the thermal conductivity of the material. Our material is by far the world's worst conductor of thermal energy and the world's best thermal insulation medium, and it provides excellent protection against rust and corrosion, including Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI). (See more about Corrosion Under Insulation)

Thermal conduction through the solid portion is hindered by the tiny size of the connections between the particles making up the conduction path and the solids that are present consist of very small particles linked in a three-dimensional network (with many "dead-ends"). Therefore, thermal transfer through the solid portion occurs through a very complicated maze and is not very effective. Air and gas in the material can inherently also transport thermal energy, but the gas molecules within the matrix experience what is known as the Knudsen effect and the exchange of energy is virtually eliminated. Conduction is limited because the "tunnels" are only the size of the mean-free path for molecular collisions, smaller than a wave of light, and molecules collide with the solid network as frequently as they collide with each other. The unique structure... nanometer-sized cells, pores, and particles, means poor thermal conduction. Radiative conduction is low due to small mass fractions and large surface areas."

At a guess, this may be the same thing sold under other names (and more forthright descriptions) as paint or a paint additive containing hollow micro-spheres wich are supposed to supply some additional insulative value to the paint; the twist here is that a clear or nearly clear binder is used. There is a shortage of hard science and an abundance of faith-based testimonials to support the micro-sphere products but at least you can understand what the claims are and the prices are typically half this product or less.

Organic indeed, if I am allowed to define organic as a slightly fruity, slightly nutty way of looking at the world though goofy glasses.
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Mary, they are putting this on the "inside" of some structure that looks like the interior of an airstream shell. You wouldn't put this on the outside. Just thought it looked like an AS.
Cann't wait to see the pictures of your polished trailer.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
59--Hahaha! I promise, I will send photos (and maybe postcards!), once the trailer IS polished! I went out last weekend and found all my polish had turned to soup, so I think it will have to wait until after summer--plus then I won't be trying to finish structural projects (hopefully)!

I couldn't resist throwing the organic joke back at you! Maybe we should just call it the big O (oh, no)!

(and watch out for Hydro-NM-Oxides of loose value),

Mary
Old 06-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Actually there are several manufacturers of nano structures for materials including 3M and Dupont. And they are not all the same. When magnified some look like popcorn, some sphere like, others more like the bubbles in a lava lamp.
I just sprayed a reflective type on the underside of my shell's ceiling. Maybe a wasted a few bucks, maybe not.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobechs
When I see gobbledegook like this, my snake-oil detector begins flashing. . .
Agree. Their understanding of heat transfer is pretty limited. I would be more impressed if one of the company founders had a background in either science or engineering.

They seem to think that calling it 'nano-something' gives it credibility and marketability. I don't see where their technology has anything to do with nanotechnology in the commonly accepted definition of the term. By their reasoning, anything of molecular size would be 'nano'. That could include anything from dog food (nano-kibbles?) to fertilizer (nano-guano?)

And whatever 'Hydro-NM-Oxide' is , I have no clue.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
free sample?

if anyone tries this nano-stuff, I'd like to use some in the insulation experiment described in

http://www.airforums.com/forum...lts-13953.html

the test articles are going to be 12" square, so a piece of 2024 T3 Alclad .032 coated on one side would be welcome!