Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #57

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Air beds work pretty well. Most are expensive. Select Comfort has a short queen. Bear Beds not only has the short queen but they make a curved twin.

Airstream

Here's an article regarding air beds.

RV bed not too comfy? Try sleeping on air!

Patty found an Aerobed Topper that has dual controls that we lay on top of the mattress. For less than $200 this mattress inflates to about 2 inches high. The only down side is it is a standard queen length which takes up some of the room to navigate around the end of the bed.

An interesting point is that most of the air beds are fairly light and don't carry the weight that foam mattresses carry.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Gene,

I did pretty much exactly what you're talking about. I filled in the space left over from the non-radiused mattress with body pillows.

A radiused king would have fit in the back of my 34' Avion, but I couldn't find anybody to make one. So I got a regular sized queen and filled the area around the perimeter with body pillows. It's worked out great.

Take care,
While parked at the house recently, we carried out the full size queen pillow top from our bedroom and wrestled it into the trailer. There's a good 5+inches of sagging overhang with the full size queen in there. One thing I did not note before is the special radius cut at the top of the RV mattress. Without that, the overhang is even more and a large gap at the head of the mattress forms.

We priced out some full queen custom cut to 73" or so at $500-$800 at our local mattress factory. One of them was a full foam mattress. It was actually the most comfortable. No springs at all. I have some reservations when buying an all foam mattress with the trouble we have with a foam memory topper. 12 year warranty on these mattresses. We're not pleased with the gap up top though. It might have to be a compromise. We haven't gone back to the store yet to see if they could make that custom radius cut.

I'm sure the Select Comfort mattress leaves the gap at the headboard as well.

Cheers,

yakman

Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
we did what Ronstory did. We got an innerspring 10" queen futon, and it's terrific. Ours is a Serta, $350.00

Al
Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #60

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
While parked at the house recently, we carried out the full size queen pillow top from our bedroom and wrestled it into the trailer. There's a good 5+inches of sagging overhang with the full size queen in there. One thing I did not note before is the special radius cut at the top of the RV mattress. Without that, the overhang is even more and a large gap at the head of the mattress forms.

We priced out some full queen custom cut to 73" or so at $500-$800 at our local mattress factory. One of them was a full foam mattress. It was actually the most comfortable. No springs at all. I have some reservations when buying an all foam mattress with the trouble we have with a foam memory topper. 12 year warranty on these mattresses. We're not pleased with the gap up top though. It might have to be a compromise. We haven't gone back to the store yet to see if they could make that custom radius cut.

I'm sure the Select Comfort mattress leaves the gap at the headboard as well.

Cheers,

yakman
If you need corner cuts according to their web site, Bear Bed will custom build for you at no extra cost. That would take care of those situations where the head of the bed also needs some angle on it. Their Airstream page specifically shows the twins with the proper cut.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've been using the mattress as adapted all this year without problems. That means an extended platform and bolster filling the space at the top. Less room at the foot of the bed, but enough to squeeze through. My wife has a wastebasket and a thing for dirty clothes down there, but manages to get past them.

The modifications I considered are explained in post #4, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ips-47817.html

The plywood extension I bolted on rather than glued and it works fine. The gap at the top was about 3.5" and was more or less filled with the bolster. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit in the bottom of the bolster—getting the curve right was a challenge, but I used a large piece of butcher paper to make a pattern. A solid bottom to the bolster was important so the fitted sheets would have something to hold onto.

We also checked out organic mattresses and toppers. They are expensive, so we are living with the foam for now. There are a lot of toxicity concerns with the non-organic foam that has been used for years (see post 48 in this thread).

If you extend the bed to fit a standard queen topper, you can use regular fitted sheets instead of the more expensive ones for RV sized beds. We always used standard sheets and they would be so messed up on the short bed that the bed had to be completely re-made everyday; now that's not necessary.

Gene
Old 08-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
We originally had an issue with cracks between the cushions of our pull out side bed on our Argosy 24'. The crack down the middle isn't too bad but the person sleeping next to the wall has to deal with an additional crack right down the middle of their side. We got a Therapedic mattress pad and it's worked great. When not in use it rolls up and compresses into a sack the size of a sleeping bag. Not sure how you would deal with radiused corners but I'm better someone that's able to sew could cut the seam, trim the foam (electric carving knife) and then reshape the cover.