Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I have a Select Comfort (RV Mattress: RV Bed, RV Airbeds, Camper Mattress 1-888-411-2188) at home(3 years) and plan on purchasing their RV model in the spring. It is the best sleep I have every gotten out of a bed. The entire bed is components, so it is very easy to repair and replace the major parts. This is a bed you can take from one camper to another for years.

halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Standard Queen

"Are you still able to walk around the bed after adding the 80" mattress."

Well, you can barely squeeze in at the foot of the bed with the 80". Also, the added few inches in length make it awkward in accessing the under-bed storage. I don't think our longer mattress size will pop up to reveal under-bed storage, so we just slide stuff underneath there.

The previous owner of our FB discarded the cheap AS toy mattress and added a standard queen pillowtop. It is very comfortable, but I'm actually considering having a short queen custom made to give that extra few inches back at the foot of the bed for better storage access and more ease in making the bed. I think the shorter queen would open the sleep area back up.

AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
My 34 footer had the twin singles at the back. I hated them. The mattresses were miserable to start with, and if I put my head toward the front then I'd hit it on the night light cantilevering off the wall. If I put my head toward the back of the trailer, I had to tilt it sideways due to the curve of the back of the trailer. Bluck on that!

Contacted a local mattress maker but they wouldn't make me a radiused king to turn the whole back of the camper into a bed.

So, I got a queen size 12" thick pillow top firm Simmons Beauty Rest mattress. I then filled in around it with body pillows. The whole back of the RV is now a bed.

Talk about a nest! Man it's great now. This mattress is more comfortable than the one in my house. Whereas before my vacations were miserable due to poor sleep, now we wake up refreshed and ready to party. It made all the difference!

Oh yeah, I had to make a platform to bridge the aisle that used to be there between the twin singles. I did it with a piece of 3/8" plywood to match that on top of the shelves that the singles sat on, then made stiffeners that went under it every 12" or so. It works great.

The only negative to this is that the person sleeping at the rear of the trailer has to crawl over the one toward the front side. So far, it's been no problem at all. I sleep like the dead, and it'd take an atom bomb to wake me up, so wifey gets the aft position.

Best of luck whichever way you go. But getting a good night's sleep is the key to enjoying your vacations. So fix that bed up right!
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Reedsport , Oregon
AZ, Yes it is a little tight but it is worth it for the great sleep I get. I added an extension at the foot so I can lift it up and provide support for the foot. Need to prop up because of weight. Since the 27 FB has bed centered on front wall the foot of bed is centered on hall. Got a larger plastic bin and can easily pull in out completely. Side bins are no more trouble than standard.
The Tempurpedic is the best I can find. The Princess has a Sleepnumber but I like the Temperpedic overall. Don't settle for the imatations, take the free trial that is offered and try it at home, nothing to loose.
Good luck
Scott Prall
08 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4 5.7L
Hensley Arrow
WBCCI 6333
OhScottyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 ,

We just replaced the mattresses that came with our 2008 30' Classic.

First we added two different foam toppers to the Airstream mattresses and managed to sleep on them every night for more than a year but it was brutal; ya, we're full time.

The folks at in southern Florida custom made two twin bed mattresses for us. We visited them on Wednesday afternoon and at 10 AM on Thursday we got a phone call telling us they were ready.

You don't have to got them. They will ship.

And, they have experience with Airstreams; our twin mattresses are curved on one side. A real challange. But the challange was nothing compared to one of the matresses we saw that he made for a boat; lots more angles.

Any rate, we've been sleeping on the matresses for three weeks now and are very happy campers. Verna (SWMBO) did make custome mattress covers that are slightly thiker than most to help insulate us from the foam so they would not be as warm. The mattresses come with the usual covers but we always use a cover in addition to what is on the mattress.

Temperpedic by the way.

Good luck.

We are travelers with an attitude. We get to go anywhere, anytime, and have attitudes about what we see and hear.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
Commercial Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
1947 22' Liner
Helena , Ohio
We put a Select Comfort in our 99/30 and couldn't be happier. Just wish we had time to use it more.
P&S Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use a feather bed on top of our mattress (as we do at home) and it makes for a nice bed. If you want super soft, try 2 feather mattresses...we made bed sacks (like large pillow cases) from sheets for them so they are easy to make and the sheets stay where they belong...and make that corner bed easy to make.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
Order a selectcomfort sleep number bed. We have one of the upper tier beds at home, and love it. I purchased a cheaper model once for a SOB fifth we owned previous to our AS and was not as happy with it, but they let me trade it in toward a better model, and all was well.

If you try it, you'll love it!

Best Regards,
Jeff & Cindy
Hunter RIP

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #37
30' 1999 Excella
Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Select Comfort

Same here - we bought the RV Select Comfort from camping world. It was on sale, but still very pricey. We like it a lot.

The only problem is now my copilot wants one for the house. I like it, but not that much!!! Too expensive.

Also, keep in mind that it requires electricity. So if you're boondocking without a generator, make sure its at pressure before you head out. We find that we have to check and reset the pressure once a week or so (its not automatic)

Happy dreams!
Hey, its the only way to be sure!
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Reedsport , Oregon
Isn't it nice that we all get to choose our own bed?
Scott Prall
08 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4 5.7L
Hensley Arrow
WBCCI 6333
OhScottyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
AZ-AH Prestige Mattress in Phoenix usually stocks the short queen mattress springs and can make up a custom short queen mattress for you. I know this because about 4 years ago, my wife and I started an RV mattress business in Quartzsite and Prestige made mattresses for us to our specs. The single sided Ultra Classic was our best seller.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #40
1991 34' Limited
malibu , California
all mattresses are made of toxic materials because of fire retardant in the foam. Buy a certified organic mattress or natural rubber latex mattress. These cost a lot of $, don't go cheap or you will still get a mattress made with toxic materials. You will need a doctors note to purchase these because it does not contain fire retardant. These beds are not flammable, foam is so volatile, it goes up quickly with out fire retardant added to it, so it is the law.
streamhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
a better mattress

step one: throw out that cheesy thing A/S sells you
step two: remove that 1/64 inch luan plywood platform, replace with 3/8 inch plywood, cut large enough for a real queen size mattress
step three: install the queen mattress of your choice.
Only downside, you lose a little "walkaround space" but in my opinion your sure sleep a lot better.
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #42
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wasafari, I'd love to replace the mattress, but spending more money on the Safari isn't a great idea right now.

But it does occur to me that there's no need to remove the luan platform. You could put 1/4 plywood on top of it. Since there's not that much weight at the overhang (some mattress, but it's supported by its own frame, and a part of your feet), that would probably work fine. The plywood could be screwed to the luan by several nuts and bolts in appropriate locations and/or glued.

I don't know how much weight this would add. I'm sure some mattresses would weigh a lot more, some less. Luan is lighter than the same thickness of plywood.

The luan is pretty smooth and that's good and bad. It's good when you want to move the mattress to get the sheets under it. It bad when it moves around on the platform. I'd rather have it smooth, so I'd buy finished plywood—ACX if I remember right.

I know a lot of people have had custom mattresses made to fit in the curve at the head of the bed. I'm sure that costs even more. I've wondered what would it be like if you replace (or even move down the existing mattress) with a rectangular one. It would be several inches from the wall at the head, but who sleeps with their head right against the wall? In ours, there's a Venetian blind to hit me in the head anyway. You could stuff some pillows or something in that space, maybe a block of foam cut to size. Your pillow would rest on that and could be against the wall. The existing mattress would hang over the luan, but perhaps a thin piece of plywood a foot long could be bolted and glued to the luan at the end. The foot of the mattress would be elevated slightly, but probably wouldn't be bothersome. You have to be careful to to lift the platform by the luan, not the extension, to make sure it doesn't break off the luan. I don't know whether I'm going to try this, but the thought occurred to me while my feet were hanging over the end of the bed.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote