Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
In another thread a member describes installing a Queen sized Select Comfort Bed in his '78 Sovereign, 31' long... in the rear bedroom. The bed frame he built and the mattress pretty much takes up the whole room. I'm thinking about doing the same but with a first quality pillow top mattress.

My question is: Should weight of the standard queen size pillow top mattress be a concern at the rear of the trailer?
Thanks!
Steven

Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
In another thread a member describes installing a Queen sized Select Comfort Bed in his '78 Sovereign, 31' long... in the rear bedroom. The bed frame he built and the mattress pretty much takes up the whole room. I'm thinking about doing the same but with a first quality pillow top mattress.

My question is: Should weight of the standard queen size pillow top mattress be a concern at the rear of the trailer?
Thanks!
Steven
That weight is not a problem.

Memory foam, available at many places, and now at a reasonable cost, not only works great for your home, but your Airstream as well.

Andy

Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
This may sound dumb but has anyone tried one of those blow up mattreses? We have a double size platform and I was thinking I might try one. I have one in the house that I have used when we had a lot of company. Its on the firm side but I need that for my bad back.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Smile Queen size mattress

Spend the bucks and buy yourself a Sleep Number bed. You won't be disappointed.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader View Post
Spend the bucks and buy yourself a Sleep Number bed. You won't be disappointed.
Interesting! There just happens to be one of their stores here in Columbus. We may have to go check it out. Although the RV queen is $1249. That's about double of what a nice pillow top mattress would run. I'll have to look at these Sleep Numbers and see how dependable the electronics etc will be.

With the FB, we should be able to go with the full queen at 60X80 vs. the RV short at 60X75. There's certainly room there to extend the bed. Has anyone else swapped out the 75" mattress for an 80" on the FB side bed configuration? We usually throw a collapsible hamper at the foot of bed on floor with a guitar case or two. Are you still able to walk around the bed after adding the 80" mattress.

Hmsteader, do you have a Sleep Number? If so, what model?

Thanks,

yakman
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I will check out Lebeda and see what is offered. Everything that I need is sooooo far away!!!!!!!!! Our local RV dealerships are very small and as far as parts are concerned--I think I would have better luck trying Wal-mart--just kidding--it is frustrating though!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #21
'53 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Encinitas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein View Post
--I think I would have better luck trying Wal-mart--just kidding--it is frustrating though!!!
Don't laugh but that is where I got a memory foam mattress for around $240 last year. ...Walmart. It is great quality and can be easily cut with an electric knife like the one you would use on the holiday turkey. You can even spoil yourself a bit further with a softer mattress-top memory foam. It is only a few inches thick.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I actually have found that Wal-mart carrys so many things that you can use either in or on your AS. I bought a small jar of aluminum boat polish about a year ago and it worked wonders!!! Now, I can not find it in our local store!!! I think I jinxed myself because I just moved my AS across the street from my home so that I can work on her as much as possible!!

You have a GREAT IDEA about the mattress...Off to Wal-mart I go--Oh, last year I did not think I needed to replace the outside lights on the front of my AS. I noticed last year Wal-mart carried what I needed. Now, of course, they no longer have the lights I was going to buy so I am going to have to check at Auto Zone for them.
One question, do you have a problem with moisture under your mattress? I did with the original foam mattresses and ended up putting 1 by's under the mattress for ventilation--but I feared the mattress may have had mold inside, so I had to get rid of it....
Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #23
'53 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Encinitas , California
Maybe put a rubber mat down as a barrier... like cutting those large door mats to fit??
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Bear Beds, www.bearbeds.com also make beds for Airstream. Like Select Comfort but costs less.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Plenty of Other Choices

I bought a Denver Mattress Doctors’ Choice Pillow Top standard to replace the “queen” in my Excella. I have the same in a twin in the Trade Wind. There is really very little difference in the width between a “camper queen” and a full size bed. I don’t know why anyone (Airstream and others) would call the beds a queen when they are no longer than a full size. I am not all that tall (5’10.5”) but for me, the issue is length (or the lack thereof) rather than the width.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rant alert!

Walmart?

We have found that you have to be very careful about what you buy at Walmart and Sam's. I picked up a drinking water hose and it exploded the 2nd time I used it. It was the extra one, so no problem. I thought it was too cheap. Or packages of fruit with the rotten stuff in the middle where you can't easily see it. Mystery brand cheese that tastes awful (melamine?).

It's ok there for well known brands, but a lot of stuff is garbage and you save no money with it because it doesn't last or is bad "food".

It's too bad there's no middle ground for RV supplies. RV stores seem way overpriced. It seems a discount RV chain is called for.

We got our memory foam pad at Target as well as a cool wall clock that satisfies aluminitis needs. I've never seen RV supplies there though.

Gene
Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Walmart?

We have found that you have to be very careful about what you buy at Walmart and Sam's. I picked up a drinking water hose and it exploded the 2nd time I used it. It was the extra one, so no problem. I thought it was too cheap. Or packages of fruit with the rotten stuff in the middle where you can't easily see it. Mystery brand cheese that tastes awful (melamine?).

It's ok there for well known brands, but a lot of stuff is garbage and you save no money with it because it doesn't last or is bad "food".

It's too bad there's no middle ground for RV supplies. RV stores seem way overpriced. It seems a discount RV chain is called for.

We got our memory foam pad at Target as well as a cool wall clock that satisfies aluminitis needs. I've never seen RV supplies there though.

Gene

I second that, I bought two of the drinking water hoses from Walmart and both now have several areas where I had to wrap with a waterproof plumbing wrap. Don't buy these hoses from those hosers.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Reedsport , Oregon
Got to add my 2 cents. I've been sleeping on Temperpedic for six years now. One of the reasons I chose my 27FB was the my queen Temperpedic would fit nicly. I am pretty much full time and a good bed important. Tried sleep number, memory foam toppers and now I see the sleep comfort is offering memory foam toppers. Might as well get the real thing, you didn't skimp on your TT, why on the bed?

WBCCI 6333
OhScottyOh is offline   Reply With Quote