Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2002, 09:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

is the insulation flammable ?

for a 60s Airstream is the insulation flammable?
will I have a problem if we use a propane torch to soften up the interior vinylcoat + 2 coats of paint?

Do not want to catch it on fire ?

I assume its regular fiberglas insulation
oldvws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
It is Fibreglass batts.

But I would be very careful. A heat gun would be better, if you feel it is needed. I just don't like open flames. Also don't forget about fumes. Probably lead paint also.

Don't forget that there are a lot of wires behind there in rubber grommets and aluminum really is an excellent heat conductor. Hate for you to melt the wire insulation and get a "shocking" suprise or worse an electrical fire behind the panel were you can't get to it.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Is the insulation flammable ?

If you are concerned about stripping the interior wall/ceiling finish and the Airstream involved is 1965 or before, the interior wall finish likely did not start out as bonded vinyl. The original interior wall finish would have been Zolatone - - a very tough and durable paint product - - I am not absolutely certain of the exact cut off date for Zolatone (for interior wall/ceiling finishes), but I am fairly certain that it was still the primary interior finishing product through 1965. Many who have tried stripping the Zolatone have reported that it takes the strongest "aircraft" strippers to loosen its tenacious grip.

When Fowler Interiors refinished the walls/ceiling in my '64 Overlander, their recommendation was to scuff the surface and smooth rough areas with sandpaper. This process was followed with a three color sponge painting technique that looks similar to, but not identical to the original Zolatone. The sanding job was made a bit more difficult as some of the last coat of atrocious tan paint was peeling - - there were three coats of varying shades of celery green and landlord's beige paint on the interior of my coach. I am absolutely thrilled with the results which didn't risk damaging the very nice original woodwork with paint strippers.

I would also caution about using heat as a stripping agent. My concern (in addition to the wiring mentioned by Bobby W) would be that the heat may degrade or ruin the water proofing that was applied at the factory to seal penetrations in the exterior skin as well as along the ribs. Another issue, if the coach has plasticoat that is still in good condition the heat could also potentially damage that as well.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

if Zolatone is the stuff I am thinking about its automotive "trunk" paint or splatter paint. Spray cans are available with different colors base and splatter.

I am interested of getting down to bare metal and then polishing the inside, not trying to save the Zolatone or vinylclad
oldvws is offline   Reply With Quote