Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Brandon has two problems. May or may not be related.

1. We agree that the dehumidifier needs to be replaced.

2. The outlets are "shutting off". What ever that means.

Brandon:
Please explain.
A. Are the outlets in question the ones the dehumidifier and heater plugged into?
B. Do any other outlets stop working?
C. Are they all on the same circuit? (ie circuit breaker)
D. Are they GFI ? (have the little reset button)

I hate to jump the gun here and speculate before we have more info.
But if the two problems are related, 'dznf0g' may be on to something. A loose wire.
The higher the current draw, the warmer the wires get. Heat causes expansion and contraction. Therefore, where the wire meets the screw, if not tight enough it could make contact when cool and separate when warm.

HOWEVER we do need more info from Brandon to narrow this down.
1. The dehumidifier has now been replaced, see previous thread.
2. Tthe outlets cease to provide power suddenly.
a. All of the outlets stop, save for the inverter outlets provided the inverter is powered on.
b. see a.
c. no
d. I am unaware if the GFI shuts off however I believe the plug above the kitchen counter is connected through the GFI in the bathroom (the only one I am aware of) in which case yes "they" being the plugs do include the GFI and not simply the GFI by itself.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
In his/her (not sure if it's Brandon or Jenna speaking) first post say "all" the outlets. If that's true, I'd suspect the supply lines upstream of the breaker box....but we really do need more info.
The supply lines are new and have been tested. At anyone's request I can provide pictures if interested.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Thanks for separating the data sets - it is challenging to follow braided threads!

The compressor can cycle on/off when ambient temperatures and low humidity reduces water vapor condensing out - that condensation has a warming effect to condenser coils and affects freon pressures etc. etc. To restate this, the amount of water molecules adding its extra heat energy slows down and the now too-cold coils trigger an anti-frost circuit that drops the compressor and allows the fan to act as defroster. There is a surplus of liquid freon still vaporizing for a while and the cold coils continue to grab water for most of the compressor shut-down period.

If it is a 2012 model presenting utility power line drop outs on normal loading I think I hear a warranty appointment with your favorite AS dealer calling.

If that was first run out of the box it may be normal - a replacement may display the same behavior.
It wouldn't be the first time I have brought it in, as a matter of fact the next trip to the delearship will be my fourth visit.... On top of everything my wife and I have only this as our home so it is more inconvenient than some might realize to go without.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
The supply outlet that you plug your trailer into. Is there another one (on a different circuit breaker) that you can plug into.
If the problem stopes we know it is the supply not the trailer.
If it doesn't stop (with the trailer unplugged) I would take off the breaker panel cover and tighten every screw you see. The wire might not seem loose if you wiggle it but may loosen with the heat from the current flow.
Also does your power cord from the trailer have a "screw together" end. If so open that up and tighten the screws holding the wires.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Thank you for the advice. I have avoided using multiple appliances but next time they all shut off I will inspect the blue led lights on my shore cable? I assume if they are not lit it would then be the power from the house side issue.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
I haven't looked back to see what I last mentioned about the New Air AD-250 dehumidifier but dznf0g I thought you and others may want to know since I exchange the lemon I received the first time it has been a godsend!
My wife and I live in ours full time and since we have been running it there has been no moisture on the windows when we wake up, no water soluble glue running from the window frames down the screens, and I am happy!

HOWEVER, there is one area I do not believe the dehumidifier has helped and that is under the matress. I came across a thread (which I lost) that described a molding that takes place here so I looked and this attached image is what I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3477.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	149307Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3476.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	149308

Can anyone help me avoid this?

Thanks for everyone's awesome input! I don't know what I would do without having the airforums.com as a resource.

-Brandon
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I'd like to know about that too. I plan to put a waterproof cover over the mattress and mattress pads itself, but that really won't help with under the mattress. Someone suggested putting a sleeping mat (the kind backpackers carry for under their sleeping bags), but won't that just move where the mold shows up?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I did just find this! Not sure this works for full-timing though -- would the storage compartment need sealing for heat? Someone else suggested a layer of cork, as they thought cork is anti-mold and anti-fungal...

That's a great blog, I think...

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
DWR Airstream: Solution for Mold Under the Mattress Platform | Streaming Daemon | Airstream Travel Trailer | dwr

My wife just found the above link which I think is the best solution to this new problem. I wonder if I should start a new thread?

My only qualm with this is where do I build the piano hinge in and how, so I can continue to raise the hydraulically lifted side?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
LOL -- great minds, I suppose. I do remember somewhere seeing someone had built a similar platform in their AS. Unfortunately, i can't seem to find the thread it was in.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
I haven't looked back to see what I last mentioned about the New Air AD-250 dehumidifier but dznf0g I thought you and others may want to know since I exchange the lemon I received the first time it has been a godsend!
My wife and I live in ours full time and since we have been running it there has been no moisture on the windows when we wake up, no water soluble glue running from the window frames down the screens, and I am happy!

HOWEVER, there is one area I do not believe the dehumidifier has helped and that is under the matress. I came across a thread (which I lost) that described a molding that takes place here so I looked and this attached image is what I found.

Attachment 149307Attachment 149308

Can anyone help me avoid this?

Thanks for everyone's awesome input! I don't know what I would do without having the airforums.com as a resource.

-Brandon
I found a small 200W heater at WalMart. I run it in the rear compartment. It keeps the compartment just warm enough that the temp differential between the compartment and the interior keeps the sweating down. Between the mattress and decking. Be sure to keep the heater away from other items in the compartment. At 200W, it doesn't get really very hot, and it does have an overheat switch....but.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I did just find this! Not sure this works for full-timing though -- would the storage compartment need sealing for heat? Someone else suggested a layer of cork, as they thought cork is anti-mold and anti-fungal...

That's a great blog, I think...

My Apologies, my wife found this because you posted it here.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna

My Apologies, my wife found this because you posted it here.
Lol - so long as it was found!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
This looks very appealing: HyperVent Marine - Product Information

It is a breathable material with allows air to move between the mattress and the wood underneath. Take a look!

-Brandon