Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
interior wall stains - leaking or ????

we're considering the purchase of a 2002 Safari Six-Sleeper that I believe was built in the early part of 2002. an unusual thing we find upon inspection are some dark, irregular stains on the front & rear interior walls, mostly hiding behind the curtains....

this trailer has sat covered with a breathable cover since the Fall of '05.

(first picture)

the inside walls are finished with what feels / looks like a very short pile carpet-like material. some of these stains were hidden behind the curtains, and the owner was unaware if they existed when they purchased the trailer. this owner purchased the trailer knowing that it was previously owned, but still about one year old.

(2nd & 3rd pictures)

has anyone seen anything like this? we've been trying to figure out what these stains they are, & how they occurred.

the owner last lived in the trailer in the Fall of '05.

the various theories we've thought about so far include -
  • it's simply leaking - however the owner swears it never leaked in the time they lived in the trailer, and we're inclined to believe them.... there's no evidence of water on the floor below the stains.
  • some of the adhesive used to stick the wallcovering to the inside skin has failed and migrated through the wallcovering?
  • the vulkem sealer inside the walls "melted" and leaked through?
  • moisture in humid air conditions has condensed and the stains are mold or mildew? but it not like the stains feel wet or sticky?

have any of you seen anything like this, before?

any ideas?

thanks!

Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 2002 Safari SS Roseanne 018.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	81387   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 2002 Safari SS Roseanne 002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	81388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 2002 Safari SS Roseanne 013.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	81389  
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
we're considering the purchase of a 2002 Safari Six-Sleeper that I believe was built in the early part of 2002. an unusual thing we find upon inspection are some dark, irregular stains on the front & rear interior walls, mostly hiding behind the curtains....

this trailer has sat covered with a breathable cover since the Fall of '05.

(first picture)

the inside walls are finished with what feels / looks like a very short pile carpet-like material. some of these stains were hidden behind the curtains, and the owner was unaware if they existed when they purchased the trailer. this owner purchased the trailer knowing that it was previously owned, but still about one year old.

(2nd & 3rd pictures)

has anyone seen anything like this? we've been trying to figure out what these stains they are, & how they occurred.

the owner last lived in the trailer in the Fall of '05.

the various theories we've thought about so far include -
  • it's simply leaking - however the owner swears it never leaked in the time they lived in the trailer, and we're inclined to believe them.... there's no evidence of water on the floor below the stains.
  • some of the adhesive used to stick the wallcovering to the inside skin has failed and migrated through the wallcovering?
  • the vulkem sealer inside the walls "melted" and leaked through?
  • moisture in humid air conditions has condensed and the stains are mold or mildew? but it not like the stains feel wet or sticky?

have any of you seen anything like this, before?

any ideas?

thanks!

Joseph

You must not ever cover an Airstream trailer. Strange things begin to happen because of that cover.

Those stains could be mold.

Vulkem cannot and does not run, nor would it cause stains like your Airstream has.

Water can condense under a cover and then find strange ways to enter the interior, yet not leak in a rain storm.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hi Joseph,
You asked me in an email to see if it looked like the stains we posted about in another thread. Ours look like black streaks. This photo looks different. I wish I could help, I have no idea. Andy (who posted above) knows a lot more than I about these sorts of things.

I hope you find out so that you can be comfortable with your purchase.
Best of luck!
Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Another possibility is that this is black aluminum dust leaching to the surface of the ozite interior wall covering along with water during high humidity conditions.

2air' wrote about this in his post #18 (especially the last section of his post) in the thread Help with mold (mildew?)

New Jersey is my home state and I know it can get very humid. If the trailer was stored for years covered in a wooded setting in the New Jersey area, I'm not surprised to see something like you showed it the photos.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, those stains are bizarre! I've never seen anything like them. I can tell you that these stains DID NOT come from the adhesive used for the Ozite fabric. A clear spray adhesive is used to adhear the Ozite to the walls. As for the orgins of the stains, I'm with Andy on this one. Condensation is the likely culprit.

From here on out I would make sure there are no leaks and once you are sure of that I would replace the Ozite in the effected areas. It's pretty easy to do. I think you could get a pretty good deal with this Airstream and this "issue." If you're willing to fix it yourself, you could save some bucks.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002, safari, six sleeper