Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Interior Renovation ? For Newbie

I'm considering buying an "AS IS" 25-30 foot 1965-1980 Airstream trailer and turning it into a coffee shop, hamburger stand or something similar. I realize that there are countless unknown factors to consider, but I was wondering if anyone and everyone could give me their best guess as to the cost of a "basic" renovation.

More specifically I'd like to know the cost of paying someone to remove the interior, reinforce/redo the floors and get all of the wiring in working order.

Thanks is advance
LittleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleA View Post
I'm considering buying an "AS IS" 25-30 foot 1965-1980 Airstream trailer and turning it into a coffee shop, hamburger stand or something similar. I realize that there are countless unknown factors to consider, but I was wondering if anyone and everyone could give me their best guess as to the cost of a "basic" renovation.

More specifically I'd like to know the cost of paying someone to remove the interior, reinforce/redo the floors and get all of the wiring in working order.

Thanks is advance
The first huge step, is to prepare a list of the equipment that you want installed.

The second step, is the location of the equipment, so that plumbing, wiring, etc can be laid out. That will determine the weight and balance.

Your list should include how much water you want to carry, how large the holding tanks, etc. You want to create a functional system.

A good design, must start with facts, as guesses cause the problems.

Lastly, you must select someone that has done this before, instead of a buddy or friend. If not, you will most likely spend a ton of money, and be disappointed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Thanks Andy. I appreciate the input and I absolutely will put together a detailed blueprint of where everything will go if I decide to proceed with this idea. I'm not sure exactly what equipment would be on it, but I'm thinking a stove top, fryer, refrigerator, three or four sinks. Don't know what size holding tanks.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out an estimate of the cost of the first steps. In this case taking out the interior, fixing and reinforcing the floors and getting the plumbing and wiring in working order.

I don't know much of anything about this, but I was thinking that the specifics of the future renovations wouldn't dramatically affect this initial price estimate.

Thanks and looking forward to more input.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

Depending on the year and condition of the Airstream you find... you may need to be prepared to completely rewire and replumb. You might need to beef up the support in the flooring if you want 3 sinks... you'll need to carry water or always be hooked up to water and sewer... not to mention having everything installed to meet health code requirements in your state.

You might consider finding someone at a fair or street event that has some kind of portable kitchen and ask them what the shortcomings are and what they wish they had, etc. Make detailed lists and price out all you can.

I would think it might be really cool ~ I have seen some Airstreams that serve as bars or kitchens... you might google an image search and see what others have done. But, it will likely be expensive. Not to mention being sure you have the proper tow vehicle, etc.

But, I always say, follow your dream!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would think a major consideration would be is this AS going to be on one site or mobile. More planning will need to be given to structural integrity and towability for a mobile unit.

While I am not so much of a purist to be offended by an AS coffee shop, in fact kind of like the idea, you will get brownie points with the AS community by using a coach that is not as much of a collector's item. The older trailers are harder to find, and also more expensive and harder to find parts for. There is a point of view that to alter one of the older vintage units is akin to heresy. To the general population however, most would not recognize a rare vintage collector's coach if it fell on them out of the sky. There was a big bru ha ha here in the forums recently when a good intentioned individual bought a early 60s coach with a unique history and had the intention of gutting it and turning it into a rolling educational exhibit. There was a happy ending however as some forums members got together and swapped a later model coach. I think your best prices, availability, and parts will be in the late 70s and 80s range.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You might give these people a try, I have seen a sparten that they converted

Timeless Travel Trailers
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Save your self the trouble

Why not buy one of these? They were both for sale as a pair or individually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Diner 1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	78138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air diner 2.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	78139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air diner #2  2.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	78140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air diner # 2  1.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	78141  

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I don't want the diner inside, but I'm curious about the one that is a kitchen. Do you have a link?