Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
interior questions

I just started to restore a 66 overlander twin 26. I posted a few pics to help with some questions I have.

A) I plan to remove the oven ( a Magic Chef 24w x 28h I think) and install a microwave in it place (or above). Since I will gut the interior, wiring will not be an issue, but I am unsure how to handle the cabinet etc. I'm sure I'm not the first to bring a 66 into the microwave world.

B) According to the original manual, I should have a table that folds out from the right side. The table in the photo is too short and connects to the left side. I would like to see what SHOULD be there.

C) After removing the front sofa, I found a hole in the floor, covered by a screen. It seems to have some sort of a vent in it running toward the rear? There was a bit of insulation plugging it, but it could have been from the mice.

Any help is appreciated, Tom

air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Where we , Park it!
Congrats on your "new" 66 Overlander! We owned a 66 Overlander - bought it in 1980, towed it with a 75 Ford Custom 500 with a 400 engine - sold it when our nanny totaled the car in 85 . . . .always regretted selling that trailer . . .

Anyway, to your hole in the floor - I don't know what the couch in your rig looked like, or if it was original - we had rectangular heater ducts running under our floor, with "exit" vents in the actual floor. Our kids kept dropping their Leggo down the vents, so, in the summer, we covered over the vents.

As for the table, it may have been modified. However, since the Airstreams of this era were often semi-customized, what you see in the manual may not be what was produced.

Check the wiring used as well. During 'Nam, copper was deemed for military usage and your unit may have aluminum wiring. If so, you might want to replace it with current "code."

You'll probably have some other "suggestions" from forum members - good luck in your project!

whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi Tom - Welcome to another member from Ohio..!

If you have not found this site yet it will give you some good photos for reference. Scroll down on the site to the vintage photo archives.
Vintage Airstream Home
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forum,'re in the right pleace to get the answers you need...poke around in the subforms and do some buzz word searches and you'll be amazed at what you can find...and if you can't find it, just ask... Just about anything you run into will have been run into before by someone here...

Silver Trails!
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote