Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
St. Clair , Michigan
Smile Interior Plans

I'm new to this forum, I've done about a weeks worth of Internet surfing looking for working Plans for a front eating Booth , rear corner Bath walls, closet walls for a 60 Caravel 18 , the Interior is only half there , as a matter of fact there is only the kitchen counter left in it, no bed , bath or anything else for that matter, I can see evidence of where the walls were, I figured if there are no plans avalible I could make cardboard templates , But I would like to get it right, can anyone steer me in the right Direction , or where to look for floor plans, can I call Airstream for them ?
Chris Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Chris, welcome to the forums and vintage Airstream ownership. In 1960, Airstream called their California 18 footers a Traveler and I believe the OH built ones were called a Globetrotter or Caravel. Yours must be the Ohio built one. Pictures of the CA built 18 footers can be seen here:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...0Traveler.html

and the OH version:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...018footer.html

You can gleen alot of info about floor plans from both of these sites. You can also go up or down a year to get other ideas. These are very popular trailers because of their small size and all of the amenities they can offer. Best of luck to you, ask lots of questions and you'll get some great responses. Post pictures when you can. We all love pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Forums - you'll find all sorts of useful info here, and great people, too!

We are currently working on a 1960 Caravel. Our layout is similar to the one on this page:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...58GT/58GT.html

If this is the layout you are describing, maybe I can help. Our Caravel is now gutted, but all the parts are in the garage. The PO had converted the dinette into a bed and changed the sleeping area into a desk, so we are working on changing it back to the original layout.

Good luck with your project, and please post pictures!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
St. Clair , Michigan
Mel the Page you posted has a drawing of the plan that is exactly what we want, front dinette, that converts to a bed, rear bath , what I'm looking for is plans for the Dinette and a wall templete for the Bath, I think I can handle the building of the new cabinets with out a problem , I've seen some homebuild dinettes/ booths in other trailers that just didn't look correct , they seem to be ether to small or to big , so getting the correct plans for the booth/ dinette that was designed by airstream will assure me of the fit and function that were looking for in the unit. even just paper templates of the ends of the booth and a template of the bathroom wall would be nice. I appreciate all your help
Chris Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Chris,

We're out of luck on the dinette - we'll be building ours from scratch as well. Below is a pic of what the PO did after removing the dinette. We were able to make some alterations to the pictured bed so that it would fit in the back corner.

I'll see what I can come up with on the bathroom walls, though - those are in the garage. I'll let you know as soon as I can find them!

What's your Caravel's serial number? Just curious.

Good luck!
Mel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	15946  
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"