Old 07-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm thinking about doing the end caps in Krylon Fusion, and doing the walls in something custom tinted to match the Krylon color.

???

Old 07-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #16

1991 32' Excella
Twin falls , Idaho
I've been searching my town high and low for Krylon Fusion but many of them are closing it out and so colors are limited. Someone told me today that it is being phased out. Krylon's newer release of Krylon Maxx does not have good reviews and I'm not going to waste my time. I found Krylon Fusion at thepaintstore.com and am going to purchase there - lots of color options. We just stripped the vinyl off of our walls and are going to paint end caps with Fusion and match paint for the cabinets. Now if we can just figure out how to repair around the cabinet in the front cap - it has separated across the full length of the top of the cabinet.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #17
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I used 2.5 cans of krylon fusion per cap. Just make sure your cap is plastic and not gelcoat it doesn't stick to gelcoat :-)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #18

1998 25' Safari
Ballard , West Virginia
Has anyone ever tried to paint the (mouse hair) wall covering in a 1998 safari airstream?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Venus , Pennsylvania
Will the krylon fusion work on the interiors of a 69 tradewind. I think it's vinyl.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #20
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryfamily6 View Post
Will the krylon fusion work on the interiors of a 69 tradewind. I think it's vinyl.
Has your Tradewind ever been painted before?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Venus , Pennsylvania
Not to my knowledge. It was smoked in, and has a kind of a textured wallpaper like covering on the skins. Skins are removed currently.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #22
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Not to my knowledge. It was smoked in, and has a kind of a textured wallpaper like covering on the skins. Skins are removed currently.
Awesome your wall are rescuable. Don't paint the walls. You will regret it ten years down the road. I have a 69 the walls were black and sticky when I started and they are bright white and beautiful and like new now. Use Tilex mold and mildew bathroom spray cleaner or something similar, scrubbing bubbles with bleach whatever and a Mr clean magic eraser. Spray the walls down with the bleachy spray and scrub with the Magic eraser. Don't worry about the overspray hitting the wood cabinetry just do them at the same time just don't leave it to soak into the wood, the vinyl walls you can spray and let sit/ run down the walls and work. Rinse and repeat till clean. Buy the heavy duty magic erasers as they do break down as you work and only will work when wet you'll probably need 6 of them. After your walls have dried use a citrus based adhesive remover and spray it on your walls scrub in with a soft bristle brush and wipe off with a paper towel that will get the years of nicotine and greasy cooking of the walls and the adhesive remover will not hurt your vinyl. Repeat till not sticky. Make sure the product you buy smells like oranges (don't use goof off) wash down with soap and water and a Mr clean eraser one last time and you are good to go camping. Open the windows and get a fan or two going when you work.

Ps your end caps are likely gel coat like mine. You can't do the Krylon fusion to paint them it will NOT stick
Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We painted with Bondz primer, then 2 coats of exterior grade latex paint. Aside from a few touch ups due to scratching when we installed cabinets, we have had no problems. We painted over the vinyl wallcovering after a very thorough cleaning and even more thorough rinsing of the walls. Paint has been in place now for 5 years through many freeze thaw cycles with no problems. I think cleaning and rinsing well are key. We did not sand.

Kay
Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #24

Berkeley , California
To cover old paint, would sanding then a layer of Kilz oil primer then enamel paint be a good lasting solution ?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #25
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyaginator View Post
To cover old paint, would sanding then a layer of Kilz oil primer then enamel paint be a good lasting solution ?
My preference for things that have movement is latex paint as it's more flexible. Oils dry rock hard and you can get cracking particularly at the panel overlap seams and any other areas where you get flexing and movement. I have four Airstreams and the two that have been painted by previous owners are in atrocious condition. Major flaking at the seams and skylights and vent areas. The one is so far gone with so many layers if paint it's not worth stripping so I actually did apply a coat of new paint. With what was as proper prep work as was possible the previous years of paint actually chunked off onto my fresh new roller as I painted the new coat on top. Turned out there was actually mold growth between the layers of paint so it sheeted off. I had actually taken a rotary sander to the old paint job to, but it didn't fall off then of course :-( ... So your paint job over a previous persons bad idea to paint will only hold up as well and they prepped it in the first place for you.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:30 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Venus , Pennsylvania
So is it preferable to take the vinyl off the skins if it already has been painted? Especially in a complete overhaul?

My skins are out, with vinyl still attached. If the vinyl starts peeling off the skins, should vinyl be removed?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #27
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
So is it preferable to take the vinyl off the skins if it already has been painted? Especially in a complete overhaul?

My skins are out, with vinyl still attached. If the vinyl starts peeling off the skins, should vinyl be removed?
It's been done before but it's a monumental task
to do without scratching the aluminium. I personally have never tried but I recall reading someone elses thread on it.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
krylon fusion?

Do you think it will work on a 1973 end cap in the bathroom?