Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
bainbridge island , Washington
Interior Layout

Does anyone know of an independent designer that would be available to redesign the "blank" interior of my 69 Overlander to include a new electrical system?
Thanks!!
One Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Hey OD:

It's a good question, and good luck, but I've not found a much luck myself as I"m restoring as well. I think the best option is to start with what A/S provides. You can dwnld the electrical schematic and adjust to your needs. You still need lights, inverter, etc. and those items are all in the factory schematic that is available. I've seen them posted in a PDF on these forums somewhere. Luckily mine '73 came with the service manual. Even though mine is 100% gutted, again, it's a decent starting point...

Good luck!

2018: 7500 miles: FL to Co
2019: 7500 miles: FL to Co
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Your best bet may be to contact some of the professional restorers out there and see what they are willing to do. I imagine that they go through a custom design process as the first step of each trailer they restore, the only question is whether they would provide the design as a stand-alone service. We have many of these professionals as Forums members. Not sure if there is an easy way to find them (I checked the "vendors" tab, but didn't see very many).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just be sure the designer understands travel trailer dynamics, the need for heavy stuff over the axles and lighter stuff at the ends. Hitch weight is critical to both handling and load carrying capacity of the tow vehicle. Fully loaded weight must not exceed axle ratings. It's a balancing act, do it right and it's a joy to tow, do it wrong and it won't be much fun on the road.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If I could not find a trailer design solution, I would check out some of the boat designers in the area. They sub out some of their design work. Structural and electrical design are likely areas that might be included in this type of sub contracted work.

However, the best solution may well be an experienced electrician who has worked with DC as well as AC systems. A call out to an electrical contractor who does commercial construction might identify such an individual. Electricians are quite rough on their bodies. Jerking heavy wire through conduit can take a toll on joints and muscles, so some retire early. Not much effect on brain cells though, so a fellow that retired due to physical problems might be able to help. Not all electricians can design. The ones who can are worth knowing.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote