Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa , Texas
Interior gut and total overhaul

Hello, my wife and I are planning on completely gutting the interior of our 73 sovereign. We have been using it every summer for the last 4 years and now feel like it is time for a complete interior upgrade. We are planning on stripping it down completely and reprinting it to save some money. We were wondering what else we can do on our own before we hire someone to rebuild the interior. Please advise.
AirStream73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. Welcome. It's sort of hard to answer your question without knowing more. Like - how many trailers have you modified already? If you have, how did it go? Are you handy with carpentry, plumbing and electricity? Rivets and aluminum? Are you creative/design oriented? What's your budget? What's your timeframe?

Everyone's mileage varies. I'm terrible at all this stuff. That's why I bought new. I'm learning a bunch of stuff but if I was ever going to take on what you're talking about, I'd hire someone. No doubt whatever I plan for budget would have to be tripled and whatever schedule I set would have to be quadrupled.

Other folks with more talent have done this themselves with great results.

So - what do you think you can do?

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa , Texas
Thank you for responding. We inherited the airstream from my wife's father. It is stuck in the 70s and we really want to give it a whole new look. I think we plan on staying under 10,000 for the redo. But this will include all new everything including appliances. We plan on going to places like restore for materials such wood floors, and countertops. My wife loves decorating so she has many ideas. We will be gutting the airstream in a few weeks. It will be nice to see it down to the shell to get an idea of what can be done to it.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa , Texas
Today is our first day of our interior gut of our airstream. It still has the original Dometic refrigerator, heater, and Magic Chef stove. If you are interested in using any of these as parts let me know. It is a 73 sovereign.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
Good luck. With some common sense, a little skill and some luck it isn't a hard project. I did a 29 Sovereign from 80s velour Buick to modern contemporary style for about 3k in materials. Of course I did the work myself, but it is not hard if you can find the time.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Is their anyway you could send me a pic of the door hinges on your model I have a 72 31' soveriegn that the doors have been taken off and i am trying to find hinges and screws. My frig is a RM75A send to cole3444@epbfi.com if you can help
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote