Old 01-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Interior end cap fixes...

Our Globbie has the same "crack infestation" as has been reported here several times. We attacked with a vengence and can report on the results.

(1) Plastic Weld system; This can be had at any AutoZone for about 4 bucks. It has a psi rating of 3500 lbs and will fill gapped cracks. It is an epoxy so once it has set you can carve it with a sharp knife (preferably a diamond stone honed) or razor blade. Results.. It's strong and holding the original shape of the end cap.

(2) Acrylic Nail Sculpture; I'm going to be LAUGHED off the forum for this but, laugh as you may IT WORKS! We started with the two largest cracks at the front, one street and one curb. My wife (who does her own nails) came up with this. The gaps were approx. 1/8" wide to 0" about 4"-6" long, all above the front sofa. She used this to fill the crackes (it's thick so it won't sag and drop down inside past the crack) then once set, we filed and sanded then painted. Results.. WHAT cracks?

Durability of either of these two methods will be found out this winter and desert summer. As of now, WOW!

Oscar

PS These end caps are NOT fiberglass. They are an ABS plastic of the 70's. A previous PO tryed fixing ours with fiberglass repair and I peeled it of faster than wallpaper.

Old 01-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Its a good idea to drill a small hole at the end of each crack so they don't run any further.

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks for the post Oscar. We, of course, are also going to need to deal with a couple of the infamous endcap cracks...mostly found in the rear bath area. Will be interested in your final results and update when possible. We will be tackling this along with other ongoing projects come Spring.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Yep, been done, but I'm not sure of the longevity. One of the previous PO's did the same and I have found cracks 2" beyond the drill mark.

I personally think it is going to be an ongoing battle of man, plastic and aluminum. Airstream was not on top of the game when they matched plastic to aluminum. The exterior expands and contracts well beyond the interiors plastic integrity, not to mention plastic, through time, dry rots meaning looses it's elasticity.

Oscar
Old 01-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Good news Bad news

As a former Hobie sail boat owner (all ABS) I can tell you about my successes.
Using a Royalex Repair Kit resolved a lot of my problems on Hobies. I have also used fiberglass with successs. The big "but" is I was working with 1\4 inch plus thickness and filling dings and edge cracks. As long as there was ample support and mass around the crack everything was fine.
OK Airstream reality, I have my end cap sitting on saw horses in my shop as of right now. I repaired multiple cracks with fiberglass resin first then over layed them with cloth. I have been flexing the cap everytime I walk by it and two cracks have reappeared. These crack are in the upper corners were the aluminum storage cabinet attaches.
Solution, I have flush riveted aluminum to these corners on the hidden side then applied fiberglass gel to the interior side. When I reinstall the end cap I will shim the cabinet so it does not transfer the load to the end cap.
Actually I hope your repair works, because removing the cap is a real pain, but it does allow time to find leaks from the exterior. Ken J is right stop drill is a must no matter what happens.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I did my repairs in situ. Since mine all originated at the point where the plastic meets the ceiling, I drilled the rivets to gain access. This allowed me to cement abs plastic stiffiners (made from scrap) to the top, unseen side. I then filled with a paste made from abs shavings and abs cement (used for plumbing).

I painted with Krylon plastic primer and a textured spray paint, using just simple masking.

I finally got some photos up on the Airstream Photos site: http://www.airforums.com/photo...er/139/cat/500

Mark
Old 07-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I sure would love an update on any/all of these methods since the interior endcaps are almost non-existent. Have any or all of you found your method is working. Not sure if Silver Bullet checks in here anymore, but ya never know!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
My front end cap has a bad crack just to the right of the stereo cabinet. Three years ago I filled the crack with two part epoxy putty. While it looks much better a small, hairline crack has appeared again on one side of the repair. I've been putting a lot of thought into this problem and I'm thinking that covering the entire front cap with some kind of cloth or vinyl might do the trick. I would attach it with spray adhesive.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I need to get rid of a set of front and rear endcaps. Both need repairs in the popular places
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
So, Aerowood, if you get rid of them, what will go in their place? I wonder if your rear endcap is worse/better than ours? Oh, just remembered, it would be wider than ours - darn, I had designs on yours.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Airstream still has replacement endliners. They also have a different sytem for installation,using extrusion to hold in place--not drilling the plastic.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
So, Aerowood, if you get rid of them, what will go in their place?
I will be making segmented aluminum, if I ever get home from Canada.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Airstream still has replacement endliners. They also have a different sytem for installation,using extrusion to hold in place--not drilling the plastic.
They do? I didn't know that. Andy, can you weigh in on this?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hmm, still have endcaps? I have seen different reports on these. Would be nice to know for sure? Maybe Andy will add his .2.