Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks, Rich. Really appreciate the info you provided on using fiberglass cloth to repair our front end cap. Looking forward to the article. This will be a nice winter project here in Phoenix.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I will be watching for it too. Thanks a lot, Rich. The fiberglass end caps inside my 67 Trade Wind still look fine, but the ABS ones in the Excella, especially the rear one, are cracked. Obviously, the 'glass is superior.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I too hope Inland Andy answers the interior end caps still available rumor.

What would (IMHO) be really helpful would be a chart showing which years used ABS and which used fiberglass and which end used which. I mean a real and verified chart for once and for all.
I wonder if Airstream molded them at the plant or acquired them from a vendor? In either case I'd love to see how that was done.
Also wonder if they changed the mold over the years, i.e. will every year interchange with another? It is obvious that Airstream tweaked the built in cabinet/locker/clock/thermometer area in various years.

I think there has always been confusion as to whether they are a structural component of the monococque integrity. I have no idea.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
I too hope Inland Andy answers the interior end caps still available rumor.

What would (IMHO) be really helpful would be a chart showing which years used ABS and which used fiberglass and which end used which. I mean a real and verified chart for once and for all.
I wonder if Airstream molded them at the plant or acquired them from a vendor? In either case I'd love to see how that was done.
Also wonder if they changed the mold over the years, i.e. will every year interchange with another? It is obvious that Airstream tweaked the built in cabinet/locker/clock/thermometer area in various years.

I think there has always been confusion as to whether they are a structural component of the monococque integrity. I have no idea.
Airstream made the fiberglass headliners, themselves.

A few plastic headliners are available for the early 70 trailers.

The headliners offered little to no strength to the overall shell strength.

The headliners are not really that expensive, but the crating and motor freight charges, will get your attention, pronto.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Andy - thanks for coming on board w/some of the answers.

Rich - I, too, thank you for your time/efforts to share the fiberglass info w/us. That may be the way we have to go w/the Minuet if shipping them would be awkward (which I can see)! Look forward to the article. Hey, you might consider putting it is as an article at ASCentral.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

I'm wearing my fingers down trying to upload a PDF for you guys. Who would have thought that a 3 page PDF would be three times the maximum upload size?
I'll keep trying....

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

here are PDF's of two articles from the same author. These deal more with fiberglassing over wood, but the process is the same. sand and clean the surfaces well before you do any glassing or you will not be happy with the results, and whatever you do do not sand into the cloth. It will remove most of the strength if you do.
You may be able to do just the inside of the endcap, but it will be harder to finish out the edges to look nice. especially if done with the endcap in place.
You should build a form of some kind to hold the endcap in something close to the installed shape while you fiberglass it also.

I have more info on this subject if there are questions about it.

Good luck,
Rich
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fiberglass 101.pdf (2.83 MB, 200 views)
File Type: pdf fiberglass 102.pdf (2.21 MB, 141 views)
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote