Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
.032 is plenty thick. Sometimes thicker is easier to work since it does not fold over as easy, but .025 is a good working thickness for the interior..

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
.032 is plenty thick. Sometimes thicker is easier to work since it does not fold over as easy, but .025 is a good working thickness for the interior..
Hmmm.. I think it's finally time to invest in some air-powered shears. My aviation snips aren't going to "cut it".

- Peter (and Marie)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
A nibbler for curves using a rounded guide bar made out of thin plywood worked for me - except beware the working punch head will drift off true (eccentric) so its cutter handle has to swing around to always maintain evenly a 90 angle at the cutter head relative to the curve... no fun when it wavers or binds up.

Also, be selective on the true air shears by inspecting that the cutter fits snuggly in the outer brace fingers before you buy it, I had to return the first one I bought as it had too much play and made sloppy-angry looking cuts... And use a clamped guide bar for everything!!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

1971 31' Excella 500
Defiance , Missouri
not really

A bit about aluminum sheet. 2024 is a stronger alloy with a lot of copper, which makes it heat treatable and why it is used for aircraft skin, the most common. It is, however, not at all good for polishing unless it is clad. It is also not weldable. I would be surprised if it is used on the Airstream exterior skins. The alloys we polish in Aerospace are typically 5000 series and 7000 series. They have zinc which is part of what makes them polish well. 5083 polishes very well. in my former job we polished it a lot, and made body panels for Aston Martin, Morgan, and the Ford GT from it. Some aluminum alloys do NOT have to be alclad to be polishable. However, certain alloys that do not polish well in the base material, need a layer of pure aluminum (alclad) so that it polishes well and it also helps with corrosion prevention (eg 2024). 5000 series does pretty well avoiding corrosion without needing to be clad. 5052 is another common alloy. i don't think it polishes as well as 5083. 3000 series is almost pure aluminum. it polishes well but is not very strong, mostly in tensile. Old Shelby Cobras would be made from a 3000 series. Easy to form but not strong. Flexural strength or stiffness, crumple resistance, is a concern for body panels. if you need to cold form the metal into contoured shapes, 3000 series is the most ductile but again, not as strong as you might want.
GoCarefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #19

1971 31' Excella 500
Defiance , Missouri
oops.. .1000 series is more like pure aluminum. soft. but 3000 is also quite soft
GoCarefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
trimming alclad

does anyone have any experience cutting the aluminum with the "Klenk K-12" shear ? I am looking for a good cheap way to trim this stuff for interior use.My tin snip and shear collection isn't "cutting-it"

Airline is offline   Reply With Quote