Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet interior accordion door partition

hello there, i have an older airstream model 62 globetrotter.its pretty original, in good condition and i am in the process of restoring it eventual,and making occasional repairs. one of the things i am currently working on is the accordion door /petition that with thin rods sewn into the fabric to retain shape and allow folding.although i do have the original curtain door , while having it reapaired recently i decided to make another one like it , and keep the original one unaltered .i got the material for the rods and have the curtain pleats sewn in,but i am in need of the hardware off another door, if anyone out there has a similar door that i can use for parts.the condition of the door is unimportant.the parts i am in need of would be the handle, a magnetic latching type insert that mounts to the curtain edge,and also the top cutain track fasteners that attatch to the top curtain edge ,and slide thriugh the track.aquiring any of these small pieces would be helpful to me. thanks to all and happy camping.
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Wayne,

I'd be really interested in knowing how your room dividers are made. Mine were missing. The tracks are there and seem original, the sliders left in mine are a type I've seen several places--e.g.,
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...2/skunum=14775
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet 62 globetrotter curtain

hi lynne, thanks for responding. i can help you with a curtain if you need one. i have a friend in salem oregon that has an upholstery/alterations buiseness,and also runs a hancock fabrics store,selling canvas and the various siuitable fabrics and such.she will make you a nice one,vary reasonably. i have her ship the curtain via usps cheaply. she can hot press it, make it in any color you like. i have a pattern of the top wood piece everything would mount off of. it is all very simple. im really busy at work though. could you look around a bit for us on the other pieces. their very minor,but needed. that is what she is waiting for,from me at the present ,to finish the curtain out.i am glad to share all that i have with you,and can put you in touch with her when you need. thanks again lynne,for anything you might have to add and help with this.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet accordion door/petition

oh lynne, my upholstery lady found the material for the rods that get sewn into the curtain at her local home depot in salem. since they are needed at the time she will be making the curtain. dont worry she has taken all the measurements from an original curtain for the proper spacing of linear pleats and curtain rod pockets. the small pieces that attatch at the top curtain sew in also under the curtain fabric material. these are what i need so that my curtain can be completed.a latching handle at the right edge of the door from another curtain of the period would be nice,so that i may keep my original door intact,but any hardware will help,
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet 62 glbetrotter accordion door.

thanks for the thread to the camping world hardware, i will forward this to her. your help is appreciated. let me know if i can help you with your curtain. ive got almost everything now for the makings of any number of curtains,with the exception of the magnetic/plastic latch handle off another aq/s curtain. they were used on many of the older models
Old 09-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I have one door if anyone is in need, PM me

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Since you have a Home Depot - check out their fan fold doors. I got one and it comes with all the hardware for mounting. Trim to fit the lenght. I got the light oak which matches my interior of my 66 Caravel great. They have various shades of white and brown - wood tone. Not original but the look is very good. Cost about $23 and the hardware matches the old track just fine. Looks like Vintage Airstream Supply sells them for over $100, same thing.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet accordion door

thanks clancy boy, ill have to check that one out. do you have a part number
Old 09-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet accordion door

thanks bob, i see you are in new york, im originally from connecticut before the move to calif. i sent you a pm about the door . thanks again for the response
Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet accordion door

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderful62
thanks bob, i see you are in new york, im originally from connecticut before the move to calif. i sent you a pm about the door . thanks again for the response
does anyone out there have a 60"s accordion door for parts?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Wayne,

Not vintage, but here's a folding door lock: #100024067 on www.homedepot.com.

Also, search "folding door" on their website to find doors previous poster was talking about.

Do you have any pictures of your old and new folding doors?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet 62 accordion door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
Wayne,

Also, search "folding door" on their website to find doors previous poster was talking about.

thanks for the thread . sorry i dont have any pictures yet, im still ;looking for the original type hardware
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
A Little FAR FROM HOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
Wayne,

I hate to post stuff and not be able to back the post up. If you check my profile you will see I am an OCEANOGRAPHER. When I'm home I work on the AS when I'm at sea I POST HERE. It's all I can do to have any time in my life. Excuse me - right now we're in a TYPHOON in the western Pacific and I'm working on 36 hours no sleep.

Anyway, I should know better and take pictures with me so I can post my upgrades. The folding doors from Home Depot are a quick, low cost, good looking, 15 minute install, parts all fit existing track, color matching (WHAT OTHER POSITIVE THING TO SAY) solution to an issue that seems to effect all aging 60's AS's. The wood tone in light oak matched the interior wood exactly, and they have white and off white to match the OEM model. I did save my original for future repair and return to original state but for now I wanted a clean interior and this did it for under $25.

My .02 cents (a little more)

Mike
Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Since you have a Home Depot - check out their fan fold doors. I got one and it comes with all the hardware for mounting. Trim to fit the lenght. I got the light oak which matches my interior of my 66 Caravel great. They have various shades of white and brown - wood tone. Not original but the look is very good. Cost about $23 and the hardware matches the old track just fine. Looks like Vintage Airstream Supply sells them for over $100, same thing.
We have the $23.00 trimmable folding door from Home Depot in our MH and soon will be ordering a new one from Vintage Airstream Supply. I only wish I had not wasted the $23.00 first. The one at Vintage is a custom door made for your opening out of a heavy duty vinyl and a heavy duty track. The HD model is lightweight, tears easily has a flimsy track which does not hold up to the vigors of road travels. The old adage you get what you pay for applies here.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
This is a good thread.. I think the brown folding doors are too dark and oppressive. Thanks Chaplain Kent for the warning re the HD replacements, The sure looked good. I sew too, so I may try to make our own. Of course this is putting the cart before the horse. We go to see and hopefully buy a 310 this weekend. We are very excited!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Chaplain Kent, you are absolutly right - these are cheap doors, but for the money they are quite effective in replacing the existing door until I can rebuild the original. I have called Vintage Airstream Supply on their door and got the exact description of the HD door, right down to the color options, plastic track and push on slides. I reused my old metal track and put on brass grommits to reinforce the holes in the vinyl. For the money it works and with the one year HD warrenty - I can always return it for a replacement until I get my original repaired and recovered.

BTW - when you get yours from Vintage - Please post pictures and quality - I would be very interested. I have allot more to buy from them and if it is better than HD I would buy one.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet accordion door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We have the $23.00 trimmable folding door from Home Depot in our MH and soon will be ordering a new one from Vintage Airstream Supply. I only wish I had not wasted the $23.00 first. The one at Vintage is a custom door made for your opening out of a heavy duty vinyl and a heavy duty track. The HD model is lightweight, tears easily has a flimsy track which does not hold up to the vigors of road travels. The old adage you get what you pay for applies here.
thanks to everyone responding to my thread posts about the door i am working on.i promised the upholstery lady that i met in salem oregon while attending the international rally that i would furnish the rest of the parts. it isnt that i dont have them,rather it is that i want to keep the original dood intact.im hoping someone will read this thread sooner or later and respond with remnants of an old curtain/hardware ,usable for parts.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet accordion door

does anyone have any of the aforementioned parts neede to complete the fabrication of the new door i am having made? thanks for any help
Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
Does anyone know where I can get the carrier sliders (I think that's what you call them) that fasten to the top of the privacy accordian partition and hold the partition in the track and allows it to slide in the track? One of these carrier sliders (the first one) is broken due to rough road travel.

Any hints on how to replace the broken carrier slider would also be helpful.

Thanks
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberrobw View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the carrier sliders (I think that's what you call them) that fasten to the top of the privacy accordian partition and hold the partition in the track and allows it to slide in the track? One of these carrier sliders (the first one) is broken due to rough road travel.

Any hints on how to replace the broken carrier slider would also be helpful.

Thanks
I bought a 3/4 pocket door setup from Johnson Hardware. #111PD Super quality!!!!!!!
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/pdindex.htm
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote