Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #113
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
ohh look what i started he he

Hummmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
The opperative term is "during the day." You better watch out, I'll get out my 1968 thermo book and start expounding on the balance between radiant, convective, and conductive heat transfer...

Hey, I'll loan you the test aparatus and computer I used--you make up the test cell and run the test. We are all anxious for the data! I'd love it this foil beats out glass batts.

Zep

Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #114
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
what about the moisture ( sweating)

Well???? Do we glue to the AS walls. Wouldnt the bubbles in the bubble insulation work to help hold therms and if used with the raflect work better than either product by itself. Cant we combine the two and get a better result and yes with air pockets between them?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #115
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Fiberglass sux

It is terrible. i would rather use horse manure to insulate. I have a customer who lost his vision due to an infection from fiberglass intrusion into his eye through his protective eyewear. It is made of glass which the body cant dissolve or absorb, it gets into everything permanently and is a respiratory irritant, it absorbs water and allows for mold, fungus and who knows what else to grow. Absolute garbage! sorry I have had bad experiences with this stuff I would rather loose the r value to not have it especially in a small trailer. Just me two cents. he he AND when it gets into the living quarters it is pulverized into smaller particles so it can be passed through almost all conventional heating system filters to be breathed in and scratch away at the cilia of the lungs and inpregnate itself into the : aievoli of the lungs causing scar tissue and on and on. I would never ahndle this stuff without complete eye protection sealed and repiratory filters that are at least HEPA or better and a painters suit. Ok I feel better now.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterman View Post
What about sandwich reflect with half inch foam then prodex then reflect then prodex etc. But what would then be the best adhesive to use and do you want to seal airtight against the skin or allow the outter skin to breathe a little so to speak. Dont want to trap moisture in the outter layer and the as skin. And how do you get straight foam sheet to comply with the curves of the shell of the as?
Hi fliterman;
There are two things you can try to form a straight sheet of foam into the curve of the end caps. Try threat by destruction, or have one custom made if the money is no object. One of them is guaranteed to work. "Boatdoc"
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #117
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Mountain dew

I am on the road a lot and used to drink about two to three mountain dews in the twenty ounce plastic bottle and when done toss it sealed on the passenger floor at the end of the week it was full of bottles. Now when I lived in Minnesota the winters would be cold and I remember that when I cleaned my car out at the end of the week heating it up between apointments was taking longer than without the bottles in the front seat than with soooo the bottles were holding the warmer air in them and releasing it slowly into the cab of the car thereby allowing for more heat to remain in the car. Sooo then if that theory applies to the bubble wrap wouldnt the little airpockets in the bubble wrap do the same thing? I am thinking so and with the combination of other materials maybe we can come up with a sandwich that would work really well.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterman View Post
I am on the road a lot and used to drink about two to three mountain dews in the twenty ounce plastic bottle and when done toss it sealed on the passenger floor at the end of the week it was full of bottles. Now when I lived in Minnesota the winters would be cold and I remember that when I cleaned my car out at the end of the week heating it up between apointments was taking longer than without the bottles in the front seat than with soooo the bottles were holding the warmer air in them and releasing it slowly into the cab of the car thereby allowing for more heat to remain in the car. Sooo then if that theory applies to the bubble wrap wouldnt the little airpockets in the bubble wrap do the same thing? I am thinking so and with the combination of other materials maybe we can come up with a sandwich that would work really well.
Did it also heat up sooner for the first appointment in the morning ?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi filterman;
Sorry, I was under impression that you were promoting the use of 16 lbs density.
I was told that the foam used in my Race Boat weighted 2.5 lbs per cub/ft, but it was crossed linked with undisclosed but very expensive component.

All and all I do not see how you can install a pour foam on a vertical surface. It would have to be sprayed and that is not a DIY job. Constant moisture will eventually penetrate the surface with time. In addition, IMHO 2 lbs density foam is much too fragile to be installed under flexing condition. Zep has done plenty of extensive research on this subject, pointing the way to what works and does not. I respect his findings. One should also consider the cost vs the value in effectiveness. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Boatdoc, the solution is simple, put entire trailer on a rotisserie and pour away.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #120
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
NO no no

you just gotta hang upside down in the trailer and start pouring into a fan.Or send the materials to Tiger foam and have them put into a pressurized tank or make your own and use inert gas to pressurize system for spraying you would still have to deal with the curing temps being high however I have found flooring that can withstand the heat. Plastic Lumber Depot offers Plastic lumber Plastic wood Composite decking Recycled plastic lumber decking maintenance free decks maintenance free decking pvc decks pvc decking composite decks recycled decks recycled decking patio decking backyard dec look at the specs on the fireboard. Now I am only talking about foaming the bottom of the floor. So only the frame and flooring and pipes would be subject to the heat I can insulate the pipes against the heat somehow or use metal going through the floor. Thats it, use metal pipe thin walled for all floor cutouts and flip the frame and pour away. I recall hearing it takes about six people to do this.
tiki2 I think so. I just remember it not being cold as much got me thinking about recycling plastic bottles into buildings. I knew a cust who used bottles for a wall ite cas concrete and bottles very cool. they were not sealed so it was just neat looking, the bottle tops I mean they were open. I think I will go with the foil in the walls with airspace and boxed with foam and sikaflexed together, two layers. 'The bottom I am thinking still. I like the structural foam because it would strenthen the frame somewhat but i will handle that one later.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #121
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
R paint

Insuladd.com :: Radiant Barrier Testing Overview
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
My take on the air filled bottles is that they were simply taking up space and therefore lessening the volume of the cab to be heated . They were also probably defecting some of the air flow of the passenger side to the drivers side . While trapped air is a fair insulator it is not a very good heat sink.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #123
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Well that would explain heating up faster but then the car seemed to stay warmer between apointments, probably not much but there was a difference albeit small, I wonder about it but it is too technical for me to take the time to investigate, there is the plastic, then the volume and the other variables like sugar on the bottle walls and etc. Just interesting. You know NASA has figured this out already, I wonder what they use on the space ships?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
So far the most persuasive argument is the two reflodex sheets with the air gaps..
Second is prodex.
Third is horse manure.
Fourth is fiberglass.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #125
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
So far the most persuasive argument is the two reflodex sheets with the air gaps..
Second is prodex.
Third is horse manure.
Fourth is fiberglass.
Daniel don't forget the Mountain Dew bottle method.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee, I would have spit it all over the place..