Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #121
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
R paint

Insuladd.com :: Radiant Barrier Testing Overview
filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
My take on the air filled bottles is that they were simply taking up space and therefore lessening the volume of the cab to be heated . They were also probably defecting some of the air flow of the passenger side to the drivers side . While trapped air is a fair insulator it is not a very good heat sink.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #123
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Well that would explain heating up faster but then the car seemed to stay warmer between apointments, probably not much but there was a difference albeit small, I wonder about it but it is too technical for me to take the time to investigate, there is the plastic, then the volume and the other variables like sugar on the bottle walls and etc. Just interesting. You know NASA has figured this out already, I wonder what they use on the space ships?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
So far the most persuasive argument is the two reflodex sheets with the air gaps..
Second is prodex.
Third is horse manure.
Fourth is fiberglass.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #125
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
So far the most persuasive argument is the two reflodex sheets with the air gaps..
Second is prodex.
Third is horse manure.
Fourth is fiberglass.
Daniel don't forget the Mountain Dew bottle method.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee, I would have spit it all over the place..
Old 03-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #127
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Dont forget

There is always cardboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Second is prodex.
Third is horse manure.
Fourth is fiberglass.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
Zep,

I am completely willing to participate in whatever way makes sense to do some testing. I did however notice the following quote in the explanation of the physics of reflective foil that gives me some pause:

"In spite of the advances made by space technology in insulation systems based on understanding and modifying the effects of radiation, no universally accepted laboratory method has yet been devised to measure and report the resistance to heat flow of multi-layer foil. Until such a method that will satisfy rigorous laboratory demands is devised, we must be content to make our judgments on the basis of common sense and experience."

So the big question is how best to formulate a real world enough test within which we can properly compare my suggested two layers of foil with the other approaches that have been discussed. Over a long period of time I have tried to read up on everything that comes my way relative to the effectiveness of reflective insulation and feel like there is a lot of compelling information on the subject. Given the above quote I am not sure how the testing was done for this writeup though. The article shows some diagrams that supposedly represent a wall cavity that is only 1-1/2" thick - exactly what we have in our Airstream walls. The diagram with two layers of foil includes the following comentary:

CASE 3, TWO SHEETS OF (5% EMISSIVE) ALUMINUM FOIL divide the wall space into 3 reflective compartments. Heat loss by radiation drops 94% from Case 1. The 2 interior sheets retard convection so that its flow falls 75%. Conduction rises only 2 BTUs; from 21 BTUs to 23 BTUs. The total heat loss drops 85% from Case 1.

Case 1 has nothing but air in the wall space.

I would suggest that we collectively do some Internet surfing to see if we can find other well founded articles that talk about the relative merits of different insulation types - articles that are based on actual testing. I also suggest that we rule out very expensive types of insulation as being impractical.

I am also open to suggestions on what kind of test I could do to validate my suggestion for the two layers of foil that would adequately compare it with other types. Zep - is your test box still set up? Could I perhaps furnish panel materials for you to use with the set up? Should I consider dusting off the test panels that I used out in the sunshine and modifying them so that I can re-run some test with my IR thermometer? What do we think would be sufficiently conclusive?

Maybe some of you folks that have installed foil insulation in your Airstream could give us some feedback on how you think it is working. That would be especially useful if you can somehow give us a before and after comparison. My unit is still not road worthy yet so I don't have any good way to do report on its success. I also do not have any before information.

Malcolm
Malcolm
The following link is to the company that probably has more knowledge in reflective surfaces in the world. They have developed glass panels up to R-20 and are responsible for Low E glass. I had a company in the 80's and we used their glass called Heat Mirror 44, 66 and 88. a 7/8" insulated glass had a R-4. with no gases added. Anytime you can create a air space as you know you get a great insulation value as long as there is no infiltration of air. A thermal break will also improve the situation.
For those that have the skin off you can put a closed cell glazing tape (I believe the thinnest thickness is 1/16" ) between the airstream frame and the skin and stop a lot of the thermal transmission, You will still have the rivets that will transfer heat or cold but you will have cut probably 75% of thermal energy movement.

Wes
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote