Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Skype™ to Kartimel
Insulation and Air Conditioners

Has anyone who has upgraded the factory insulation been able to get away with a smaller BTU air conditioner in the south?

We have a 26' with two layers of Reflectix (with air gaps) and would like to be be able to run with our current generator (2000 watts) and have noticed many people being able to run the 11,000 BTU units. We don't like things ice cold by any means and to be honest, our home thermostat in the summer is usually set to 79-80. I just like to keep the humidity out mostly but we are in Tennessee and south Florida or the desert out west will prove to be much different. We will be full-time and don't want to have to run away from the elements!

I have seen it mentioned that a street side awning will make a difference and if necessary, I would prefer spending the time to pull that out over hauling a larger generator. We will eventually have solar panels to power our batteries and they will provide some shade as well, but we may just start with the batteries and all the interior components and save up for the panels later.

I have also read that lithium batteries can be use in conjunction with the generator for A/C use, but that is more than a bit over my head so I am not going to count on that for now.
Kartimel is offline   Reply With Quote