Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2002, 02:42 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Insulation

Let me comment first.
I have noticed a pattern of the frost on Bear (my A/S); and of course it's like any dwelling where there's heat inside, you'll get this pattern indicating the heat loss (where there's no frost, you are losing heat). oh oh..

In the beginning of my restoration, I made thick panels with fiberfill sheets, stretched over foam coreboard, covering all with flannel backed vinyl---these are 'glued' & screwed onto the walls; I have placed these everywhere.
So far, I have them installed on both hitch and "tailgate" walls; also on the roadside I have them installed only in 2 places: (1) at the "knee-hole" of my new vanity in the bedroom, & (2) under the Credenza/Dining Table in the Salon. On the Curbside they are (1) behind the CardTable built-in right next to the Door, (2) under the bathroom sink/vanity, and (3) on the bedroom wall under the window (no furniture on that side).

Looking at the frost patterns last night, I could see the benefit of these panels I made and installed. First of all, I noticed the little circles on the roof that have always been there,,,but, then I noticed something ELSE!>>>There are HUGE areas of FROST exactly where those pads are under the window by the door, and under the Galley & bathroom sink counters. Which tells me that these are creating a tremendous insulation against heat loss!

I am definitely making more of these pads to go at the back of the wardrobe closet, and I will make several little ones to install under the Galley sink/counter. (see my question below).

I have this question:

Is it possible to ADD NEW INSULATION TO THE INNER WALLS OF AN AIRSTREAM??

Thanx .... Cat
Old 11-25-2002, 07:26 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smile Insulation

The International AS and the International CCD differ in that the AS has a fuzzy fabric liner while the CCD has polished aluminum. Only the polished metal galley area of the AS is without the liner. I expected that with the Texas summer heat, the liner in the AS would supply a lot of insulation and make the air conditioner a lot more effective. I think this turned out to be very true.

We had a rally two weeks ago in Kerrville where we had a very cold morning with a heavy frost. I could easily tell the difference between the frost on the polished metal galley area and frost on the balance of the trailer that has the fuzzy liner.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:49 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The inverse is true in warm muggy climates when you run the A/C. You will see condensation on the trailer concentrated on those sites with the greatest loss.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you are talking about the cavity between the walls it probably would be very hard. There is already insulation and wiring in there, it would be hard to get a good distribution of anything added.

Make sure the insulation you are adding inside the wall is very well sealed to the wall. If it gets damp between the wall and your panels it could be a source of problems.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:24 PM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Owner's Manual

I think I'd better look into the Manual to see what they say about what has been done, and what is recommended---if anything.

Mine is a 1981...and I was informed that mine has aluminum studs betwen the aluminum outter skin and the aluminum inner skin.

What is meant by the "polished metal galley area"...? Is that polish on the walls? as in 'polished aluminum'?? That's something I am adding to mine. Does any member have photos showing this galley area with the polished metal>>>???? If so, please direct me to the right one.

I am confused now....maybe it time for a call to the Wizard..."Inland RV Andy". because the things this thread has brought out have done more to confuse this confused cat anyway. (As an example;;;how would I GET insulation INbetween these 2 skins anyway?) I think I just have to hope the original insulation is still good.

But.......thank you so much, John, for the 'cavaet' on the inner panels

>>Make sure the insulation you are adding inside the wall is very well sealed to the wall. If it gets damp between the wall and your panels it could be a source of problems.<<

I will check the ones already installed...and be TOTALLY CERTAIN of the new ones going up. Good Suggestion! THANX...
.........Cat
Old 11-25-2002, 11:34 PM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
CCD? Fuzzy Liner???

>>The International AS and the International CCD differ in that the AS has a fuzzy fabric liner while the CCD has polished aluminum. Only the polished metal galley area of the AS is without the liner<<

You've really lost me now...could you translate please?>> "CCD"?
and also >>"Fuzzy Fabric Liner"?
Old 11-26-2002, 06:31 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
AS vs CCD

The new Internationals (2002+) come in 2 flavors ... the AS, which is more traditional inside, and the CCD, which is art-deco inside. CCD stands for Cristopher C. Deam, a west-coast architect.

The CCD is all polished aluminum inside with black, white, and aluminum furniture, vinyl floor, and a white vinyl-covered dinette. In my eyes, it looks like the diners that I saw when I was a boy in the northeast. IMHO, the CCD is a weekender trailer since it has a tiny fridge and very little storage.

The AS has modern, but wood grain laminate covered furniture, carpeting, cloth dinette, and the inner shell is covered with a fuzzy cloth liner. I didn't call it a headliner since it covers floor to top eacept for the galley area which is polished aluminum. The AS has more galley space than many larger models, a decent size fridge, and very good storage for a 22' trailer. I have used mine for trips of several weeks very comfortably.

I hope this is all clear. The photo is the interior of my |AS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gally_forward_400 copy.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	926  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote