Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Insulation

Hi guys,
Thoughts on an inexpensive insulation solution? I am almost ready to start the new aluminum re-skinning of the interior and need to get some insulation installed.
Thanks!
Tedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We were in Jackson Center last month, took the tour, and they are now using a new and better insulation than in the past. Don't remember the name of it, but it looked like some sort of fiber batting similar to the fiberglass they used to use, but it was charcoal colored.

I would check with Jackson Center and find out what it is if I were doing the job.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We are currently working under the belly pan, installing grey's and new black. Once that is finished we will also add insulation. We have purchased R19 paperbacked at 6.5 inches so only compressing it slightly under the pan. We are considering using a polystyrene board or such on the top and bottom of the grays. Comments welcome
Hittenstiehl

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
After weighing and pricing all the options, we ended going with pink fiberglass. Many use Prodex, but installation time looked long and it is very expensive compared with fiberglass. It has many advantages over fiberglass according to those who use it. Somewheres on the forums there is an extensive comparison between all the different insulation options.... Maybe someone remembers where? With you being in Texas, you might want to weigh cooling factors vs cheap.
BTW, we used temporary glue spray in a can to hold the insulation in place until we got the skins on. Worked well for us. I don't regret using fiberglass either.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you for the spray adhesive hint we may use that also during install.
Hittenstiehl

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Please just make sure you have really GOOD ventilation when you use it! The stuff can get you higher than a kite...

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
We were in Jackson Center last month, took the tour, and they are now using a new and better insulation than in the past. Don't remember the name of it, but it looked like some sort of fiber batting similar to the fiberglass they used to use, but it was charcoal colored.

I would check with Jackson Center and find out what it is if I were doing the job.
My first impressions on my 2014 FC with the new insulation JC is using now is favorable. It seems somewhat improved over the pink fiberglass which has been in each and every other Airstream I have owned. But, I have not had it out in very cold weather yet. Lowest was one morning at 43 F, but it warmed up quickly and that was not a great test. On the hot days (upper 90's) we are having now, the AC seems to run minimally, but then it is a 13,500 btuh unit in a 20' trailer. Still, it seems like the new insulation is better.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
I am learning toward foam insulation. Measure, cut and spray glue it in.. Easy to buy and easy to install. Thoughts,
Tedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
1969 18' Caravel
Northeast , CT
If anyone knows the name of the insulation that JC uses can you please post it? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Knauff EcoBatt

"If anyone knows the name of the insulation that JC uses can you please post it?"

I believe it is Knauff EcoBatt.
EcoBatt - Insulation bonded with nature
I have used it and from an installation point of view, like it much better than fiberglass. Not itchy at all. It works well with one layer of flexible radiant barrier like Prodex.
As Kay mentioned, there is about three to five days of reading on insulation effectiveness here. Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote