Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Installing new countertops, need advice

Want to install new laminate countertops on existing cabinets in our 1986 Sovereign. One installer tells us that the cabinets first have to be removed from the trailer because the countertops are mounted on the cabinets.

Does this make sense? Is it true?? Please advise.
Ssmookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
In my 73 Argosy, I was able to unscrew them from underneath.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
My 76 AS counter tops pulled away from wall [another brilliant AS design] as only fastened at top of flimsy cabinet work. Solution I screwed el bracket into bottom of top then into wall, never came loose again.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Makes no sense to me.

It seems like the cabinets will need to be in place to put the tops on....

But who knows, I might just be silly...

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
counter tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmookler View Post
Want to install new laminate countertops on existing cabinets in our 1986 Sovereign. One installer tells us that the cabinets first have to be removed from the trailer because the countertops are mounted on the cabinets.

Your tops should be screwed under cabs. into tops.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:

No that is not true. You may need to reinforce the cabinet base to the sides and make other adjustments after the old top is removed before installing the new counter top. Here are some pictures of the cabinet/counter top project in my 1976 Sovereign. I used a Corian solid surface for my counter top with an under mount sink. Worked great. Good luck

Airstream kitchen cabinets1.pdf
Old 04-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Installing new countertops, need advice

On my 1986 Sovereign, the countertop is screwed to the outside wall through an aluminum "L" bracket and then there are vertical screws through blocks at ever divided section and at both ends. Two blocks also in the front edge. Pain in the derrière to get to the lateral screw behind the oven but, other than that it is pretty easy to remove.

We just refinished ours with Marmoleum.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks, everyone, keep 'em coming. Our trailer is up at Jackson Center so we can't check out the mounting ourselves. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

The laminate installer was adamant: gotta get those cabinets outta there or else we're not doing the work. I'll get my answer and then find someone else to do the work.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
There were L brackets at certain points and a hardwood runner along the wall. I pulled mine out used them as templates and built my new tops (I did rebuild the cabinets as well)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0950.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	236385
Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, keep 'em coming. Our trailer is up at Jackson Center so we can't check out the mounting ourselves. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

The laminate installer was adamant: gotta get those cabinets outta there or else we're not doing the work. I'll get my answer and then find someone else to do the work.

Think about it, how are they going to get the cabinets out without removing the counter top first. So once you remove the old counter top just make sure the cabinet base is secure and then install the new counter top.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Think about it, how are they going to get the cabinets out without removing the counter top first. So once you remove the old counter top just make sure the cabinet base is secure and then install the new counter top.
Duh
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
Hi, I am a true newbie here but we want to put in a new countertop, sink and pull-out cutting board in our 1987 AS Excella. My husband just looked under our sink and he says it is screwed on. There is a metal bar across the back. The bar runs the length of the counter at the junction of the counter and the outer AS wall. Harry and I think your laminate installer (a) does not know about ASs and/or (b) he wants to make more money on this job by doubling the work. Question really is do you need new cabinets? While he was under the sink, he discovered that there was water under the sink. Harry think the reason is water is migrating from the counter top down the side because there is no seal where the counter and the wall meet. Thanks for helping us find this problem! Also One other person mentioned they put in a Corian counter with undercount sink. When I asked at Lowes about that, she said that there was a minimum linear (or maybe it was square) footage to order and we no way met that requirement. But I found a sink designed for RV use in the Lowes catalog (Swanstone) and we are just going to use a regular laminate ordered to the right length. (The real problem here is that the depth is about an inch short. So we will have to figure that out. Also, to accommodate the cutting board, we will have to install the countertop a bit higher which is OK.
The real deal is to get the pull-out cutting board to increase my work space. Anyway I hope this helps you. We think you should look for a different contractor!
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
While you have the top off, it's a good time to go over all of the connections, drain, fresh water, pump, gas, etc. Much easier to get to all of them, without the risk of displaying "plumber's butt"!

There are some great laminates out there, well worth a good search. I found some retro-looking boomerang pattern, for that day in the distant future when I'm able to change out my galley. WilsonArt and Formica are the top two sites. I've used the WilsonArt 600 contact cement, and really like it. If you use a number of long, thin sticks to keep the two glued sections apart when positioning, get it "hovering" in place, then slide the sticks out, it will help to prevent costly mis-registration mistakes.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
WE ended up talking to a kitchen consultant at Lowe's and they were so much more helpful than our contact at Home Depot. We have decided to have their contractor come out and measure all the counter dimensions, prepare it, and then we will install the countertops ourselves. Will be getting Formica laminate that my wife loved. We will see how it all goes. I may have more questions and thanks for all your help.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
HD and Lowes use contract cabinet shops. Try a local fabricator directly for Corian. Usually the price is better. Also they have stacks of remnants left over and they are happy to sell for less.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote