Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Installing folding table

We have a large folding table out of an Excella, we want to install this in our 1975 26' Argosy. It has 5 holes in the hinge and weighs about 30 lbs. Should I install this with screws or rivets? This seams like a lot of weight to just be hanging on the wall. We have the space for it. The trailer has the front gaucho but there is no sign of a table having been on the wall. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Screw the mounting bracket to the steel frame, or better yet, use steel rivets.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Navigator
Screw the mounting bracket to the steel frame, or better yet, use steel rivets.
Dick
What steel frame? Mine is aluminum, I would use a bracket of some sort to spread the load across as many frames as possible. Then attach it with SS screws or oversized pop rivets. Our PO had installed a couple of things and missed the frames, I now have to deal with a couple of 3/4" holes in the interior panels. At least the screws didn't penetrate the outside skins, like one unit I looked at.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Sorry about the [STEEL] someone must have put happy powder in my pipe tobacco.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Installing folding table

Greetings Marvin!

Quote:
Should I install this with screws or rivets? This seams like a lot of weight to just be hanging on the wall.
I don't know whether the regular coach line would have used the same attachement method as the Minuet, but I can verify that the credenza table as used in the Minuet with front lounge was not attached to the wall directly. On my '78 Minuet, the Credenza table is hinged to a piece of cabinetry that is part of the lounge assembly - - this piece of cabinetry had two sides that rest on the floor for support and the top shelf that is about 3" wide - - essentially a 3" wide wooden (actually vinyl clad aluminum originally in my Minuet--now replicated in oak by Fowler Interiors). The top and each side of the cabinet have two mounting tabs that attach to the walls while the sides of the box are attached to the floor with one anchor on each side. On my Minuet, there is a combination support/lock that keeps the table in its proper position when folded into the cabinet and provides a bit of additional support to keep the table from moving excessively while underway.

Good luck with your Credenza Table project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I should know this as I removed my folding table/credenza and built a new one, but memories fade. I think the following describes my '85 Sovereign:

There was a narrow shelf resting on two supports which went to the floor. As virtually all of the weight rests on the floor, all that was necessary was to keep the assembly from falling away from the wall. This was accomplished by long, "L" shaped aluminum extrusions, screwed into the wall with the addition two large rivets into ribs. The "L" brackets were fitted all along the length of the narrow shelf, and a couple of short ones were attached to the uprights into both the wall and the floor.

The folding table itself was hinged to the narrow shelf described above, not to the wall.

When installing my own unit, I used pretty much the same hardware.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote