Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Installing a LP detector

Has anyone installed a new LP detector? What is brand of choice? If it runs on 12v, where do you run the wires? Can you come off an existing run? Thanks.
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
You can run the detector off of any dedicated circuit. It will need to be a circuit that will have constant 12 volt power so the leak detector is protecting you at all times. There are several good choices for aftermarket installation. A few brand names are Pre-Tell 26, available in both horizontal or vertical mount positions, and also the Safe-T-Alert 40 Series. Any RV parts department can help you with a purchase.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I installed mine under the counter next to the furnace. I spliced into the wires for the furnace. I figure that is the most likely place for a serious leak. In mounting keep in mind propane is heavier than air and settles at floor level first.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
i was kinda wondering on this topic as well.. the 2 responses are helpful, so thanks!
jking09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Do you have a Carbon-Monoxide (CO) detector also? If not Safe-T-Alert has a combo unit for CO & Propane it's 12v for an RV. I just installed one last week. It is a flush mount one that sticks out aprox 1/4 " installation instruction says to install no higher than 20" from the floor near the sleeping area. works great for my 63 TW that didn't have one ever. Do a google search for type of detector you want ie: propane, CO and Propane etc.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
The discussion usually goes: LP detector down low, CO detector up high. I had looked a the combo unit too but was worried about placement. Other than the warning to not install the Safe-T-Alert unit no higher than 20", did any of the paper work address this?
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
The discussion usually goes: LP detector down low, CO detector up high. I had looked a the combo unit too but was worried about placement. Other than the warning to not install the Safe-T-Alert unit no higher than 20", did any of the paper work address this?

The instructions were complete as far as the opperation And installation. It did state that the CO sensor was very sensitive, equipped with test modes etc. It is approved for RVs so I feel that it should be ok to use. They address different warnings as in proper ventilation and all the precations one should take. We always open slightly the lowest window opening at the door, crack roof vents, and misc. other windows. I know saftey is of utmost importance and one has to feel comfortable with their saftey devices, I do along with proper ventalation.
Anyone else useing the combo unit ??
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I use a combo unit that plugs into the wall. I set it low to the floor. It has a battery backup should the power go out. If the battery is low, it chirps to let you know.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cameront120,

Can you give us a make and model of your plug in unit? Sounds like something a lot of folks could use.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
It is a Carbon Monoxide, Propane & Natural Gas Alarm manufactured by Kidde. Model No. KN-COEG-3

It is UL and CSA listed.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms AC Plugin

Data Sheet:

http://www.kiddeus.com/utcfs/ws-384/...13%20Sheet.pdf

I hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks cameront120. When I do a search on the product I find the reviews very negative on this product. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kidde KN-COEG-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide and Explosive Gas Alarm with Battery Backup Have you had problems with false alarms with your unit? thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I have had no false alarms at all. The only time I hear anything is when the battery is low. It will then beep intermitently to tell you it needs to be replaced. I wonder if the people are confusing a false alarm with a low battery signal?