Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Mount Airy , Maryland
Installation of laminate flooring

Just removed the flooring in our 2000 Excella and now looking for instructions on installation of laminate flooring. We have purchased tongue and groove laminate to install. My first question is once the subfloor has been prepped what type of mositure barrier should be used. The video that I watch suggestes a plastic mosture barrier but I bought papper. Please let me know what you have used and why?
gwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Check with the manufacturer of the laminate for their recommendation.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We installed exactly what we have in our home. It has glued on foam backing. We put NO moisture barrier as we WANT to see moisture if it gets there.

I went to within 1/4-3/8" from the edges/sides and finished in trim quarter round. Front 10 feet we ran one direction. Next 10 another way. Last 12 returns to original direction.

Floor totally floats!!! No glue!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
HIAWASSEE , Georgia
What to use as a backer depends upon the type of flooring. I am installing a floating snap together laminate which specifies a 1/4 inch foam backer. I am not a fan of glue down because laminate will warp if moisture develops. If you have to remove a glue down installation (regardless of the type of flooring), it is a difficult task. As a starter I sealed the subfloor with an exterior porch paint. I reinstalled the furniture and cabinets and installed flooring up to the edge. This will make it easy to repair/replace flooring should the need arise.
Carroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We used a T&T laminate that floats over a very thin foam underlayment sheet bought from the same store as the flooring. Been in 4 years now. Best improvement we have made to the trailer for our use.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillie View Post
Just removed the flooring in our 2000 Excella and now looking for instructions on installation of laminate flooring. We have purchased tongue and groove laminate to install. My first question is once the subfloor has been prepped what type of mositure barrier should be used. The video that I watch suggestes a plastic mosture barrier but I bought papper. Please let me know what you have used and why?
The first Excella I did was a 2000, 30'. The laminate was made by Mohawk. They recommend a thin firm foam under layment that was no more than 1/8" thick. It worked fine we used It for 2 years with no problems. Some companies have an underlayment that is glued to the laminate, I used that on a customer's Airstream, it worked fine also.
Don't use an underlayment more than 1/8", or there will be too much flex.

I've installed all of mine "east and west", as it makes the coach look wider.
Good luck!

Larry. ��
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote