Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bellevue , Washington
Installation Instructions - Replacing dinette table with floor mounted pedestal table

We have a new 2017 International Serenity 25 RB and we love everything about it but the dinette table (which just appears cheesy compared to the other finishes in the Intl Serenity). To remedy this, we ordered a new Corian dinette table (from Ultimate Airstreams in Oregon to match the existing Corian counters) that will now be connected to the floor by two adjustable floor pedestals which allow for lowering the Corian dinette table to become a bed deck.

Does anyone have experience/advice installing the two adjustable floor pedestals? It will be necessary to drill into the floor and screw the adjustable pedestals to the floor. If anyone has done this installation, I welcome any advice on "do's" and "don'ts". I do not want to drill into my new Intl Serenity Floor incorrectly.

Thank you in advance!
dlykken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Make sure you are not drilling over a tank. I think my dinette is over the fresh water tank. Best case would be to get access from below to verify and then use some heavy T-nuts with bolts rather than screws. Barring access from below mark your drill locations and then carefully drill a small hole just through the subfloor. Probe with a pick, wire, or coat hanger to ensure there is nothing below to drill into. There may be wiring or plumbing in the vicinity. There may also be a structural member which would be OK to drill, just to complicate things. Then use some large stainless screws (the largest that will fit your mount) just long enough to go through the subfloor.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bellevue , Washington
Thank you Al & Missy!

Thank you for your thoughts and guidance. Since this is a Intl Serenity 25 rear bed room and the dinette is in the very front, I "think" my water tanks are over the wheels ....but I will "be sure" to verify that there are no tanks, electrical and plumbing to potentially drill into! Maybe....I'll bring it to my Airstream Dealer and have them install it if they can fit it into their schedule.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Don't drill too deep. I think the plywood is only 3/4 inch thick and then you hit the belly pan. I suggest in applying globs of Sikaflex 221 to the base underside before screwing it to the floor.... I did this and my pedestal WILL NOT BUDGE!!
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bellevue , Washington
Thank you glcmranger

Thanks for your suggestions including using Sikaflex 221.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlykken View Post
To remedy this, we ordered a new Corian dinette table (from Ultimate Airstreams in Oregon to match the existing Corian counters) that will now be connected to the floor by two adjustable floor pedestals which allow for lowering the Corian dinette table to become a bed deck.

Great idea. Can you give us a sense for how much this cost if you don't mind me asking?

I would calculate and drill just to the depth needed without penetrating the 3/4 inch plywood floor. Then I would install threaded inserts into the floor and use machine screws to attach the pedestal. I would epoxy the inserts into place, and I'd use Locktite on the machine screws.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
santa maria , California
hi. i've had a injuiry a while back and called airstream. they directed me to the right person that answered my question. they were professional, knowledgeable, and very interested in helping. it may be worth a try before you drill into you beautiful AS. i'm sure you will be so happy when all is done. post pictures.
deljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Elkhart , INDIANA
I assume that two pedestals were required due to the weight of the new table? Do you happen to know who manufactured the pedestals that will be used? I'd love to do the same in my AS!
markgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Decatur , Georgia
I'm also wondering why the pedestal was needed. Replacing the dinette table is on my list to do for the same reason as you (the table finish is just cheap). I was hoping I would be able to have a piece of white Corian cut to match the size of the existing table and use the existing hardware. Let me know why Ultimate Airstream recommended a different approach.
Plunderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
The increased weight should dictate if you use a pedestal...
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
With the front dinette, the belly pan is probably directly on the bottom side of the subfloor and open to the bottom between the A-frame rails. It is on my trailer, under the sofa, and was also on my Safari. It should be a simple matter to drill through both and insert T-nuts from the bottom. This would be stronger and more durable than just lag screws into the plywood subfloor. After installation, spray with some undercoating to eliminate leaks.

IF this doesn't feel strong enough, you could make backing plates by match-drilling some thick aluminum plate (think Diamond plate) and using nuts and washers on the back side.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bellevue , Washington
The Corian table top and two pedestals and mounting screws came to $1,600.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bellevue , Washington
Our upgrade Corian dinette table is installed....& new shelves in the closet.

We now have installed our Corian dinette table in our 2017 25 ft AS International Serenity. We did this to replace the fomica dinette table so the dinette table matched our existing Corian counters. I also added shelves with plexiglas liners and more lights to our closet converting the haning closet to more of a pantry and other storge. Hopefuly the attached pictures show the story. There was a fair amount of interest in this replacement dinette when I was asking the AS Forum for advice, so now you can see the finished product. For those who are interested, we had Ultimate Airstream in Portland OR build the table out of Corian. They shipped the table and two pedastals to our Airstream dealer (Airstreams NW in Covington, WA) for installation. I was going to install it myself, but thought it better to have the dealer install it so the warranty would not be affected. The two pedestals are quite sturdy and the table quickly compresses down to make a bed. We think this is a much more suitable look than the formica dinette. A special shout out to Ian Harnish of Ultimate Airstreams for getting this done quickly. RE the Shelves in the picture, I cut the wire shelves from a large garage shelving system I purchased from Home Depot. Their standard wire shelves were not deep enough for our closet so I purchased a large garage shelving system and cut each shelf to fit the closet then cut plexiglas to fit over the wired shelving. I mounted the shelves so they are fixed in place and can not move or vibrate while traveling. Thanks to everyone on the AS Forum for your advice on the dinette table mounting ideas....but in the end we had our AS dealer install the table and pedestals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	313472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	313473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	313474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3040.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	313475  

Old 03-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Are the pedestals screwed into the floor?
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote