Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Inside Cable Wire Connectors for TV

It appears that my cable that goes into the back of my TV is missing something that connects into the back of my TV,. The screw on part that hooks into my TV is missing the wire that plugs into the back of the TV. The cable is flexible and the wire inside of the cable is strains and not a solid wire. So I need to know what I hook that strain to (and how). What is the part number for the connector and how does it connect to this cable? The cable has the mesh on the outside of the cable with a small plastic inside that houses the strain wire. I am used to hooking up to a solid metal wire at the center of the cable and not sure I understand how this works. Please tell me the connector part brand and number and how it is supposed to connect / work. 2016 Flying Cloud 25.
Dgregfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The connectors to the TV for antenna or cable is called an "F" connector.
Commonly, they're just crimped on the wire with a tool that squeezes the collar.
You're right, normally the center connector is a solid wire and has no added tip. I've never seen one for video that's stranded.
The mesh is called the shield, and it's the ground connector as well as shielding outside interference.
So, let's back up. Because a similar connector for AUDIO uses 22 ga. stranded wire, and is called an RCA plug. They usually have a red or white center piece. Although they don't have a shield, just a ground wire.
IF it component video or composite video it can also be run on a stranded RCA plug that's shown with a YELLOW center marker.
Although RCA's can be soldered, I find it's easier to buy a cable and cut it in half, then solder the bare wires, or replace the entire cable because it's normally accessible at both ends.
Does this narrow it down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA810B.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	356379   Click image for larger version

Name:	rca-composite-video-subwoofer-spdif-cable-coax-100-feet_NID0011120_700.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	356380  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
So what goes into the TV with this mess wire center. Does the correct connector have a tip that goes into the TV? The mess wire will not go into the back of the TV "connect plug"? Does the cable wire just crimp into the correct adapter that screws into the back of the TV? TV needs to have a solid wire inserted into the back of the TV but the Cable is limp..... mesh wire. How does the correct connector from cable wire to connector attach to the TV with this "limp" wire.... Does the connector have a solid plug that the wire just meshes up against inside the connector?
Old 11-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Sorry I did not get all of your previous post before I replied. My cable is not standard Coaxial. It is a flexible cable without a solid center wire.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Maybe post a picture of the wire?
Maybe easier to help
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I got confused - at first I couldn't figure out were this wire was located on his truck (TV) so use to using TV as a short form for tow vehicle

Yep a pic would be helpful for clarity
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgregfarmer View Post
Sorry I did not get all of your previous post before I replied. My cable is not standard Coaxial. It is a flexible cable without a solid center wire.
In my trailer the television coax is an ultra thin cable (RG-316?) and not the large household type RG-6 cable. It does have an F-type connector on the end that fastens onto the television in the normal way.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Trying to attach picture but not sure I got it

I need an F type connection to television but the cable is small and flexible. Conductor wire is braided not solid copper. Would like compression right angle instead of solder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_20191206_160043.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	357344   Click image for larger version

Name:	0_20191206_160151.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	357345  

Old 12-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
Question

Just checking back in to see if anyone has had to purchase a connector for the TV cable inside an Airstream. Part number, seller or anything would be helpful. This sure would be easier with regular cable wire instead of this braided stuff. Just not as flexible...
Old 12-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
In your pictures the shielding (mesh wire) should be connected to the F connector. Yours is not. It has been cut off and the plastic shielding around the center wire(s) it visible. The center wires come to the back of the F connector and there a connector that is mashed down, like someone used a pliers instead of the proper tool. It also appears to be some pretty old RG-59 cable. It's not at good as RG-6 because there isn't as much shielding. The wire is thinner and can't achieve the same signal quality as RG-6. The shielding is also smaller and won't keep the signal inside the conductor very well.

Where we can see into the inside of the F connector I can see what appears to be a solid wire. This is not the wire that is inside your cable? If not, someone has probably soldered a short piece of wire to the end of the shielding (mesh) and inserted it through the end of the F connector and pinched the other end closed. This doesn't appear to me to be anything standard.

Is there some reason why you don't want to use newer RG-6 cable? Where does the other end of your TV cable connect to, the antenna connection on the wall? If so, I would just go to a hardware store / Best Buy and get a short RG-6 cable as a replacement.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
The small braided cable goes into the wall and probably up to the antenna on the roof. I would have to pull all new wire to change it to cable with a solid wire in the center so that I could use standard f connectors you can buy at the hardware store.* I think I need an f connector with a pin that gets soldered to the braided wire and then crimp the back of the connector, or an f connector that has a compression screw that tightens up on the braided wire. Just cannot find one of that type.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgregfarmer View Post
The small braided cable goes into the wall and probably up to the antenna on the roof. I would have to pull all new wire to change it to cable with a solid wire in the center so that I could use standard f connectors you can buy at the hardware store.* I think I need an f connector with a pin that gets soldered to the braided wire and then crimp the back of the connector, or an f connector that has a compression screw that tightens up on the braided wire. Just cannot find one of that type.
From my post above it looks like you have RG 316 like most modern airstreams.

You can (or go to a shop) have a proper type F connecter installed. Sometimes there is a smaller BNC installed and then an adapter to a type F. Not a big deal to do it yourself.

I presume this is a second-hand trailer and the previous owner did a bodge job on it.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
From my post above it looks like you have RG 316 like most modern airstreams.

You can (or go to a shop) have a proper type F connecter installed. Sometimes there is a smaller BNC installed and then an adapter to a type F. Not a big deal to do it yourself.

I presume this is a second-hand trailer and the previous owner did a bodge job on it.
I wonder why AS would use 316 cable when it's so hard to find a connector that will fit a TV. It's high quality but Dgregfarmer's problem is that he cannot disconnect it from the AS to take it somewhere for a new connection. If it were me I'd look for some kind of splice and attach regular RF-6 cable to the 316 or get 316 with type F connector. I agree it looks like a botch job. Maybe AS support line can help Dgregfarmer.

I did find this, but I don't know where to get it or if it will fit a TV cable connection. I think it's type SMA and it's screw on so it wouldn't be too difficult to attach. There are others at this site, maybe he can find something and go to an electrical repair shop for more help.

https://www.radiall.com/products/rf-...onnectors.html

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote