Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Inside around kitchen window...

All the interior of this house are in good order...save for the (plastic like) form that is situated around th window here above the sink...this material has turned very very soft, like a bird egg shell and it cracks very easily...does any one know what this house part is called around the window on the inside. There is a pull down shade up inside of it. If you need a picture tell me and I will get one in here...thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
It's called a Galley Window Close Out.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
All the interior of this house are in good order...save for the (plastic like) form that is situated around th window here above the sink...this material has turned very very soft, like a bird egg shell and it cracks very easily...does any one know what this house part is called around the window on the inside. There is a pull down shade up inside of it. If you need a picture tell me and I will get one in here...thanks!
That window closeout is known for becoming very brittle.

Unfortunately, a replacement is no longer available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
As far as I can see, the closeout is only to give a frame to the pull-down shade.

I've seen lots of those windows with the closeout and roller blind removed, and replaced by some very clever looking narrow Venetian blinds in a silver colour.

Also important to get them with some means of attaching the bottom so they don't flop around in the sink.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well I'll be a...Here- I will take a picture. It's behind a few things. Those eggshell spots (where it caved in) are in the inside of it...What I will do to save it is patch it with layered gorilla glue duct tape pieces. But for now it sure is brittle! I will also look into other clever ways to preserve it...seems like the weak shell part of it is on the inside. Thanks Andy and everybody else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2929.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	90392  
Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Well I'll be a...Here- I will take a picture. It's behind a few things. Those eggshell spots (where it caved in) are in the inside of it...What I will do to save it is patch it with layered gorilla glue duct tape pieces. But for now it sure is brittle! I will also look into other clever ways to preserve it...seems like the weak shell part of it is on the inside. Thanks Andy and everybody else.
Well now, I'll be a... never heard of the duct tape and gorilla glue - but sounds like something to keep in my back pocket. I've been working a bit with fiberglass and having some trouble with my mix - no way would that be an issue with gorilla glue. Seems it sets like a banchee - though it's sometimes a little more puffy than I expect and needs some *refining* with a light sanding after applied.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
What I mean is- sometimes in 'crafts' one could take masking tape-rip it into little quarter sized pieces- then plate and overlap them onto a wine bottle, then you stain it to make it look like something otherworld-try it. But Gorilla glue MAKES a dark brown DUCT TAPE, and I thought plating quarter etc pieces of it into the interior of the frame would strengthen it and secure it. But no I hardly ever use the gorilla glue from the tube because of the expanding it does. I figure plating it would give it a leather look with the Gorilla glue duct tape. See?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Got it-I couldn't see you using the glue. I find I regret it every time I try it. Expands way too much and I just don't have the hang of using it right I guess.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Window closeout

Airstream has not had that parts for years.

We have one that is in decent shape, but it's not for sale.

We have inquired about having them made with fiberglass, but the mold costs are expensive.

Next problem is replacements would also be expensive, since the demand would be very small.

Probably the best you can do, is make a couple of side drapes, and install a venetian blind, that can be fastened at the bottom.

Andy.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
If you really want to try and save it, remove it from the wall, clean the back, and use an epoxy based resin with fiberglass mat and reinforce the back with fiberglass several layers. We took that one step further after fiberglass and filled the open areas behind it with expanding foam in a can to firm up the whole unit and limit flexing that would result in more cracks. After the fiberglass was done, filled the damaged areas on the outside, sanded and painted with plastic paint. Looks great. Its 3 years in and holding up great, even in our 100+ degree days.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I did away with mine and used a day/night shade and anchored it securely at the bottom. You could probably fabricate a side box using 1/4" plywood and scribing it to fit the sidewall curve.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Ours had 2 large cracks right in the top corners so we removed it as well. Since it's only use was the hold the shade in place... and the shade was really, really gone, I will replace ours with miniblinds (with secure at bottom).
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ous isn't cracked at all, actually it's in very good shape, but what I don't like about it is that the plastic has yellowed with age, and the roller blind it holds in place hasn't improved much during that same time, either.

When I achieve my dream of putting in a SS countertop with attached SS sink and aluminum wall behind the sink and cooktop area, it will definitely go.

But it's not a huge priority... Still working on finding the money to get a new set of appliances, water heater, and furnace. I suspect all the above changes will happen in one fell swoop. Some day.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I like the idea he mentioned about removing it and re-enforcing it from the backside...I never thought about it...let me look...yeah- it's rivited around the outside and some philips head screws and a bead of whitish caulking around the top. hmmm. I will stare at it as the days go by...walk past it -- pretending to ignore it....then--BAM!! Will pounce on the project with both hands. I like the way it looks as it's function, and it is a little yellowed from time- just blows me away that its so darned brittle! (weird)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Any of the ABS plastic is doomed to crack

It's a sad reality that the plastic in our Airstreams won't last as long as the Aluminum. My sink took a golfball sized hole in it after a simple trip across town with a bottle of potty cleaner in it. I think it's a good idea now to travel without putting stuff in the bathtubs, sinks and counters that are plastic. Same thing about the plastic trim pieces, they disintigrate quickly due to their age.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
On my 1970 Overlander, the plastic cover concealed the gas line going up to the gas light on the overhead cabinet.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote