Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Well to be honest, I hadn't planned on "camping" much in it. I do plan to live in it. I don't have the tow vehicle to pull it either. When I do find a job I plan in having it pulled to where I'll settle. I hired someone to pull it here. The camping that I do usually involves motorcycles. I think eventually I'll have an enclosed bike trailer for my brother (he has a F250) and I to "convert" to a toy hauler camper... Maybe I shouldn't have given away my camp stove...

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Then go electric. This is YOUR trailer and it needs to meet your needs. I've spent time and money trying to keep original or worrying about future buyers' needs. It's enough to make you crazy. If there is a way to preserve some of the propane function, for the future buyer, I would try (maybe someone else here can provide advice on "how-to") but considering your situation I wouldn't make that a mandate.

Find any leaks in the rain? I found more (stove vent) when the 10 inches of snow melted. Now facing another 10 inches tonight, tomorrow and Weds. I think I'll have to make some curtains or something indoors since I can't be outside working on the trailer.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe the new Shasta trailers are all electric.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you could always pick up an electric hot plate, single or double, to use.

Back-to-school time is good for finding these at places like Walmart, and they are not very expensive.

We carry one for cooking outside on our picnic table. Can do most anything on them, and the dispersed heat is especially conducive to baking biscuits in the skillet.

Same for a crockpot, electric griddle, toaster oven, electric skillet, etc.

Maggie
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I got one of those induction burners that are two for $100 on the infomercials - and have been using the heck out of one. It's actually NOT crap. Morning tea or coffee heats just as fast as on the propane stovetop. Much more flexible than an electric skillet. The temperature control really works. Any pot can work like a slow cooker, you can really make fondue and keep it warm, or you can sear a steak (outside where the smell doesn't linger for weeks). All the other "shipping only" accessories will cost you a fortune though, so just get the basics - 2 burners and the pan/steamer/fondue set).

Paula
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Thanks so much for your responses. I've been researching countertop ovens and hotplates and have found what seem to be some good ones. The previous owner has a frig for me that he used in it.

Eljay, I had previously found the stove vent leak (before I got the trailer) and it's sealed up pretty good now. Although it was predicted to rain for the past 2 days, we're getting the first of it today, so I'm looking. I do see where the roof vent needs weather stripping. Haven't seen any water come through yet, but I expect it.

Dianne
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Well I guess the stove vent leak isn't sealed up all that well... and the roof vent is leaking as I had suspected. Haven't found any others. That's a good thing... but it's not raining hard or blowing... so we sahll see what the future brings!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Got at least 10 more inches of snow. What a mess. We've got a path cleared for our vehicles to get out and about.

I use baby diapers to collect fluid from the trailer leaks. They work great for absorbing and reducing damage to surrounding areas.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDavies View Post
Well I guess the stove vent leak isn't sealed up all that well... and the roof vent is leaking as I had suspected. Haven't found any others. That's a good thing... but it's not raining hard or blowing... so we sahll see what the future brings!
When you get a chance, if you haven't done it already, maybe scrape the caulk off down to bare metal at those problem areas. May be surprised at what you find.

At any rate, recaulking may be more effective----at least, that's what we found with our problem areas.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
On 1 of my parent's trailers we found out the problem with the stove vent was that a PO used open cell foam weatherstripping for a gasket and it sucked in all the water that touched it and siphoned most of it into the trailer. Replaced with closed cell and it was fine after that.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for the tips... scraping and recaulking and closed cell weatherstripping... and the baby diapers... although I'm not too fond of using something that can't be reused or won't biodegrade... Small buckets are ok for now. Sorry about your snow Eljay... None of that here in Florida, but it is supposed to get down into the 40s in the next couple of days. I might have to run some heat out here.
Dianne
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oh I do reuse the diapers! Let them dry out! They can be used as hot packs, ice packs too. I have leaks in places that a bucket won't fit. I just turn the diaper inside out so that the "baby" side is in the area that leaks. More snow this a.m.. Total of 24 inches so far. We live in Missouri and it's expected to snow once in a while.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.