Old 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

1976 25' Tradewind
clarkson , Nebraska
I am about finished ... finally

I have been watching and learning about how everyone remodels their airstream. After years of letting my 1976 land yacht sit around, I got the urge to get her done! Stripping the interior aluminum didn't go to well, so we took it out, along with EVERYTHING else. Since last August we put in new aluminum, a composting toilet, built new cabinets, put in a new fridge, (propane), a new water heater, a new range top, (no Oven), two solar panels, along with 2- 6 volt deep cycle batteries, and LED lights. We took out the A/C and installed a one room portable unit that we bought at ALCO. The A/C works well. It was under $250. I left a place for it in the cabinet and vented thru the floor. We had a rear bathroom, took it ALL out. The rear corner has the can, while the the master bed is alongside from front to back. I bought a Serta mattress on sale @ Menards for the bed. I was able to cut mattress to fit the radius of the camper. It turned out really well. The Airstream is a 26 footer.... I was looking for a good couch for the front end, but built benches and a table. We will sew cushions for the benches. The table will come down for a bed for the kids. Outside I have buffed two times over the last 8 years. DO NOT RINSE OFF YOUR CAMPER WITH HARD WATER.... It really sucks to have to buff out those stains. I do have a few parts available. I will get some pics up in the next couple of days...
Tim

Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Cool. We wait for the promised pics. Do you have a launch date? We are setting out on our maiden voyage on Friday!

Congrats on making it to the finish line.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I was just gonna say: What, no PICTURES??!!!?? I'm anxious to see!

Kay
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Coeur d'Alene , Idaho
Curious what you think of the composting toilet?

Looking forward to seeing your photos!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Spent our first weekend in the trailer at the casini ranch rally. I honesty have zero regret about the composting toilet. Doesn't smell at all, works exactly as it is supposed to. I love how simple my plumbing system is, and just dealing with grey water is priceless!

The seat isn't the most comfortable, but I mean it's a toilet.....

My 10, 7, and 4 year old seem perfectly fine using it too. After we had the talk about separating their business.... .

I got the natures head. Very well built.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

1976 25' Tradewind
clarkson , Nebraska
Natures head is the way we went too. Still has not been used yet so the jury is still out, but I figure it will be really a good thing. Sorry there are no pics yet. I said it was done... but not quite. We made and hung the curtains this week. I took pics last night and my wife said I cannot post until it is cleaned up. We have some old curtains for sale that my wife had made for the airstream 7 years ago. We used the thing 3 times, other than that it sat in the barn. Our plans have improved.... we will use it more. I have also yet to figure out how to put pics on the forum. I will work on that. The curtains we have; front window setup, two side windows with the little port type window under the main window. Three windows, over the sink type, (wider than taller) and the one bigger back window. Leave me a message here and I will email you pics. They are a floral type pattern with a few red flowers on a cream background. They are made to fit on curtain rods.... these are from a 76.
Tim
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

1968 22' Safari
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks for that tip about not rinsing with hard water!