Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Bellevue , Washington
How to remove center ceiling strip

You know that strip on the ceiling that covers the seam? Behind it are the wires I am having a problem with and need to inspect.

Does anyone know if you can just slide this cover strip off? It looks like maybe I have to take out the vent frame so I'm looking for advice from someone who's done it.

We call him "Spud"

DonMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Excellent question--I had to ask the first time, too.

This piece of inside skin just "oil cans" out. You need to remove all the pop rivets--there aren't many. Be careful if there are pop rivets at the ends that are in the outer three inches, eg, towards the edges. All the wires run in that area. Then take out all the inside vent covers/lights.

Once you get the pop rivets out, you'll have to figure out a way to start popping the skin downwards in the center. If you are doing it alone, get a long pole/stick and slip it through one of the vent openings as far as possible. Then you can leve down a longer length of the skin. If you don't do this, you'll get a short section to deflect/bow downwards, but you'll create a crease in the skin approximately where the downward deflected skin meets the upward deflected skin. The long pole will allow you to carefully deflect a long run of the skin downward, making a more shallow change of deflection where the change of camber occurs and avoiding the crease.

Here's a couple of threads on the subject:

It's a little scary, so be careful, but it does work.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Don

What problem are you having, 99.9% of wiring problems can be solved without dropping the ceiling sheet.

Andrew T
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Bellevue , Washington
my problem started with the forward and kitchen lights and heater not working and now the 2nd 12v circuit that powers my hall light, fan and bathroom lights is not working.

Yesterday I found there must be a short in the light over the dining table because at one point I got continuity for ground on both the black and white wires. Then I wiggled the wires at the light and also by the switch that feeds power to the porch light and I couldn't get continuity. Even then, I still couldn't get any of the lights to work so I plugged in the 110V so I could plug in a space heater (Dang cold this spring).

There is a stranded copper wire to this fixture and all other wire in the trailer is aluminum so this makes me think an electrical nut came loose and is shorting. I really don't want to touch the skin...just want to remove that 1 inch strip in the middle so I can pull out these wires and see if I can figure out where the short is.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
The strip in question is riveted to the stringers underneath it, and the only way to access those rivets is to remove the top center panel.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Bellevue , Washington
Mine is definately not rivited as I can slide it along the track/edges of the two ceiling panels. The Ceiling panels are riveted and I can see the end of the ceiling strip that has a sort of "s" to suspend the strip between the two ceiling panels.

I'm going to try taking off the light fixture and slide it off that-away. It's only about 4 inches between the forward vent and the forward light fixture and maybe this will give me access to the questionable wires and/or connection.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My 67 has both alum & copper wiring, mine appears to be factory. I was having the same types of problems you are discribing. Sometimes by pounding on the walls I could get my lights to work, then if I walked through the trailer they would go off. I chased ghost electrical problems for some time, finding & repairing what turned out to be non existant problems. One new circuit breaker repaired 3 or 4 non functional lights. Adios, John

Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote