Old 06-04-2004, 08:25 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Using Exterior Caps on Interior

By my reasoning the outer caps might not work as well on the inside as one might think as the thickness of the ribs requires a larger radius on the outer panels than there would be on the interior of the same wall. Trimming the edges might cure this, then again....

The endcaps of my 74 appear to be molded plastic and really yellowed. I can't wait until I tear out the interior to repair and modernize. At that time I'll probably spray them and the bathroom with epoxy.

74SovereignInt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Shiney walls!

Wow! if you miss a few days you guys really take off! thats great!
OK; I'll ask Mark about the resuran. He and daughter went to Harry Potter III-opening night. Very cool!

Thanks for the info on the alluminum thickness. The stuff in there is between a 1/32-1/16 I think. Yesterday I pulled off all the old end caps from the benches (replacing with white melamine w/wood venere end grains) and pulled out the carpet. Mark was in SHOCK when he came home. We are looking to do the floor in vinal composite tile (VCT) and the counter and table in Corian. Wew!! thats gonna take some $saving$! We have the "wood look" doors on the cabinets and I like them but would like them painted white w/ frosted plexi glass in the insets so the light and background color of the cabinet will show through. Can you paint the wood vinal covering? I can't find a automotive place that will do it, so I'm thinking of making a spray booth of plastic and get some rustoleum or appliance paint. Which would withstand the heat better?

We will have to wait on the actual "gut and crome" of the walls until this camping season in over-around November. There is a dealer in Fredericksburg VA that says he can get us the interior endcaps and we are waiting for a price.

I like the wetbath in the 22 CCD but that will be a while. If we would put it in, could we change out the exterior center window? How would that work? Does anyone know of a catalogue or websight to see different wetbath options?

Right now we can do the floor, endcaps, cabinets, and hopefully metal blind/or window "somethings" within our budget, and we can use it right away. Thank-you for all your comments. I tend to just throw stuff out and you all seem to organize it for me. Thats good! Bye!

THANKS a bunch! OBX Deb
outerbanksdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Sweating walls

Has anyone thought about condensation on those shiny smooth aluminum interior panels? I'd like to hear from someone who has owned a CCD Airstream to know if that is a problem. It might look great, but I bet there was a reason the older Airstreams didn't go with bare aluminum.

Out for coffee!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote