Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
How? remove top interior skin

My forum seach didn't find any hints on how to get the top skin loose. I need to remove the upper streetside skin to get at a leak. The channels on either side of the top skin are on tight, don't want to mallet them off until I know that's the right thing to do.

If I wanted to replace the skin, is there a close fascimile for the coated interior skins from the 70s? I'm thinking I want to close off the Vista View windows--where I go you want insulation, not light. Anyone want the glass? I await comments saying this is not a good idea. Anyone done it?

While I'm asking questions, is there a replacement source for the edge trim on the aluminum where it meets the end caps?

Thanks in advance, Roger
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Are you talking about the ceiling panel, and the associated "rails" on either side of it, in which you can not see any rivets? You might need to take that down first, in order to access the top of the wall panels. If that's what you're talking about, you can remove the ceiling panel by drilling out all the rivets you can see, and removing all the light fixtures, etc, that are attached through it. then, with some help, you can probably get the panel to bow enough without creasing it to get it to pop out of those long channels. With the ceiling panel removed, you'll see how the chanel is riveted on to the ribs; there's an "extension" that is hidden by the ceiling panel that is riveted to the ribs; once the panel is out, you can drill out those rivets, and take the channels down out of the way.

Or, you could do like I did, and just use a putty knife tucked up between the chanel and the ceiling, and tap it with a hammer to break off the rivets. after I got it apart, I realized that this probably wasn't necessary. Oh, well. live and learn....didn't break anything. it was just alot more work than it needed to be....

while you're in there, take a good hard look at any aerial antennas that may be installed. they tend to leak like a sieve.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
thanks, just what I was looking for. I've Vulchemed the poop out of the seams on that side, but water still leaks out the inside of the side window and runs down the screen. I'm guessing it's the old rotary antenna fixture, maybe the Fantastic Fan, but I don't think so.

Roger
Old 03-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Roger.

Have you replaced the "sewer vent pipe" gaskets?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote