Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
gloucester , Virginia
How much weight will a frame support?

I am in the process of building a bunk at the front of my Airstream. I'm really excited with what I came up with, but I have one hurdle left, the mount brackets. I am utilizing a military issue, all aluminum stretcher that collapses down and fits behind the couch. Two of the feet will rest on the front table / shelf area, and the other two will need to be attached at wall mounts I fabricate. I have seen the vintage bunks suspended by cable so I assume there will be no issues, but just wanted to get some input / opinions. Also, how many rivets typically attach such brackets to the frames, and is there any need to beef up the frame structure? It will only be used for children, and my oldest only weighs 50 lbs at this point. I will post some pics once complete, and I think it is going to work out great! Thanks!
WVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know what the answer is, but I will share with you what Airstream did when adding bunks to newer units. They reinforced the shell to offset the additional vertical loads. Now what they did and what you are planning sound a bit different, but I would caution you on attaching anything to a rib that wasn't designed for such horizontal loads as I understand you may be looking to do. Since not all the full weight will be supported by the shell (some on a fixed structure) perhaps you will be better off.

Keep in mind I am no engineer.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I would'nt use pop rivets by themselves for that. the shear strength is not there for even small children to use it. If it's possible to transfer the load all the way down to the floor, rather than relying on the wall and rivets to hold it up, it will be a much stronger structure. Pop rivets would probably be sufficient in that case.
Pics or a drawing would be helpful in any case, to see what you are dealing with.
Good luck, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Look around your trailer and see how the "FACTORY" attached cabinets and other items. You will be surprised at how little the attachments are, sometimes only a sheet metal screw. Those cabinets remain in place while you go tooling down the road with their loads inside.

If you can find vertical frame members I would have no qualms about attaching to them with sheet metal screws, a couple at each attachment point. If the frame of your bunk extends wall to wall at the points of attachment you are talking about a pure vertical load in shear. However if the frame of the bunk is subject to noticeable flexure there will be a pulling component against the screws caused by the for shorting of the frame rails.

If you have to attach at a point between framing I would make plates, say 6x6 ins.,and mount them to the wall before mounting the bunk frame to the new plates. I would hope these plates would be mounted to a point on the wall below the curvature to concentrate the load in shear.

Now you have to remember I carry 2 bikes mounted to the rear of my trailer which is completely against the rules as written by the lawyers at Mother Earth.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
gloucester , Virginia
Error on my part, I should have stated fasteners. When I used to work on aircraft we utilized nut plates which were riveted benneth the frame, then attached various items with screws or bolts. I have not accessed the area where I intend to place the brackets, and I will do a better assesment at that time. I was just hoping someone has been there and done that.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
gloucester , Virginia
I will be utilizing the vertical frame, and the bunk will span the entire distance wall to wall. I think I will be ok, just need to pull panels and take a peek.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
gloucester , Virginia
The bunk is done!!

Please check out the pictures, and feel free to ask questions. I am pretty happy with the way it has turned out. The stretcher is all alluminum construction (Ebay) and it folds down to store behind the couch. Yippee!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0104.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	79279   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0103.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	79280  

Name:	CIMG0108.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	79281   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0110.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	79282  

Name:	CIMG0109.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	79283   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0107.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	79284  

Old 04-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
WVCA,

Nice job, I like it! I guess I'm seeing a "nut plate" in the first photo? Did you buy these and if so could you give the source for them as well as the brackets? Also, I think if it was me I would have attached all four feet to the wall. I remember my son at that age. The front shelf would have holes in it inside of a week!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Looks solid. Did the wall brackets come with it? Do you have any more details?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have 2 vintage Airstream Bunks. I recovered them with ballistic nylon. For the bunk amidships I used a cast aluminum wall bracket. The inboard side in hung from the ceiling using stainless marine fairleads and 1" webbing with some marine catches. The other bunk hangs above the front gaucho Too suspend it I used marine hardware for bimini tops. Cheaper hardware store stuff would work but not look as good. I feel they could hold up to 150 lbs.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Looks Great...Obviously your Son approves too.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
WVCA,

Nice job, I like it! I guess I'm seeing a "nut plate" in the first photo? Did you buy these and if so could you give the source for them as well as the brackets? Also, I think if it was me I would have attached all four feet to the wall. I remember my son at that age. The front shelf would have holes in it inside of a week!

Carol
Yes the bracket I fabricated in the first photo contains the nutplates. They are 1/4-24tpi, and I Googled nutplates on the net. I think I bought mine from a racing supplier. The mount brackets were fabricated by a machinist friend of mine. I thought about additional mount brackets on the backside, however; there are not frames to support them. My son does't budge them when he is on. I plan to beef up the table at some point, but haven't came up with a game plan yet.