Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Montgomery , Texas
Question How much is too much?

I just bought a 68 sovereign and I'm looking at fixing it up. It will have to have new upholstery on the couches and new flooring material of some sort (carpet, thinking of laminate wood)

The question is this: When it comes to restoring, how much is too much?

THIS sparked the question and while I think its adorable its prolly too much. I want to keep the my AS as original as possible ad still somehow make it my own. It makes me sad to see the ones that have been completely gutted and redone... I am also thinkin about practicality and resale value everyone does not have the same taste and the Magnolia Pearl prolly makes some of yall sick

What do yall think?
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
To each their own...but...

Wow! That definitely is the definition of "TOO MUCH"...wa-a-a-a-y too much!

Yep, I'm one of the ones that "that" makes me sick...and I thought I had "flowers gone bad" in Birdy when we first got her!

Oh my...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
In photo Nine there's a rainbow leak from the black tank...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post

I am also thinking about practicality and resale value.

What do yall think?
Hi, "How much is too much?" When you can't afford it or when you have to pay some-one else to do all of the work. As for resale; Build it for your use and enjoyment. What it's worth when your done with it shouldn't be a major concern. Pass it down to your children.

This is what I think about resale: It really bothers me to see people buy a brand new car, truck, trailer, or whatever and protect the seats with K-Mart seat covers so the next person to own it will have the privilege of sitting on those expensive leather seats that you paid dearly for. Let the second owner buy the cheap Pep-Boys seat covers to cover up what the original owner used. We plan to keep our vehicles for ten years and 100,000 miles, give or take; By then, I figured that I got my monies worth out of them and what ever I can sell them for is a bonus. Or I donate then to other family members.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
fortune teller

I've been in that trailer! The fortune teller sat on a miniature pink elephant with wings and told me that one day a silver bubble would float to me and then I would care about nothing else in the world.

She told me if I ever entered the bubble that I would be mesmerized - that I would burn piles of money to keep warm inside the bubble while I watched the world float by. I laughed and said she was a crazy old bat with a stupid hat. She told me I was a fool and to pay the garden gnome before I left and her elephant punched me with his trunk.

Just thought I'd share. Spend your money how you see fit. If you look at it as an investment, you'll never get what you can truly get out of it.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I just threw up. But my wife thinks it is neat..
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I just bought a 68 sovereign and I'm looking at fixing it up.

... I am also thinkin about practicality and resale value everyone does not have the same taste ...What do yall think?
Build it up the way YOU want it - you will pull it, you will camp in it, you will sleep in it.

Too many 60's and 70's Sovereigns around to worry about "keeping original" - and the question is...why would you want to?

It's YOUR time and money - do as little or as much as you want.

Check out some of these threads listed in this link to observe first hand the definition of Obsessive/Compulsive:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

The single most imortant thing to do in a rebuild is to insure that the frame/floor/shell interface is competent and robust. Spend A LOT of time researcheng "floor repair" or "floor replacement" here in the Forums prior to commencing your work.

If you don't start with a solid foundation you will truely be pi$$ing your "restore" money away.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
See what happens...?

This is what happens when "they" move from the West Coast to the Hill Country of Texas. It ain't pretty. Wish they went away and took the Texas plate off the rosey car and Airstream so as not to reflect badly upon others. I think some of their "kitchey taste" rubbed off on the group of Gals in Montgomery, TX......where their Airstream decorating has the resemblance to an accident where an Airstream crashed into the tourist shops of Nuevo Progresso, Mexico....cheap colorful fluff stuck all over it..
BUT....87mph has it right..."It's YOUR time and money - do as little or as much as you want."
Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
It reminds me of the inside of an "I Dream of Jeannie" bottle. To each his own. Trailers are to be used and enjoyed exactly as you see fit. I wouldn't worry at all about resale unless it were a valued collector's item.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Montgomery , Texas
I cant imagine actually doing anything in that trailer much less living in it. (Which is the plan for mine)
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
This is what happens when "they" move from the West Coast to the Hill Country of Texas. It ain't pretty. Wish they went away and took the Texas plate off the rosey car and Airstream so as not to reflect badly upon others. I think some of their "kitchey taste" rubbed off on the group of Gals in Montgomery, TX......where their Airstream decorating has the resemblance to an accident where an Airstream crashed into the tourist shops of Nuevo Progresso, Mexico....cheap colorful fluff stuck all over it..
BUT....87mph has it right..."It's YOUR time and money - do as little or as much as you want."
Must be that Miranda Lambert Airstream
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
It reminds me of the inside of an "I Dream of Jeannie" bottle. To each his own. Trailers are to be used and enjoyed exactly as you see fit. I wouldn't worry at all about resale unless it were a valued collector's item.
egg-ZACKly! Gotta love them "I Dream of Genie" bottle interiors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Must be that Miranda Lambert Airstream
Ooooh... Now SHE is PURdeee!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Somebody loves it, and that's all that really matters, isn't it? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

First things first...last things last

brakes, bearings, and black rubber first

curtains, cushions, and carpet..... last
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
money for nothing

everything cost more than you think--my first advice:

BY NICE NOT TWICE!!!!!!

secondly--i doubt you will ever make money fixing up a trailer and selling it. not just because of the expensive materials--but the time. you'd make more working at mcdonalds. but make it as nice as you can afford if you plan to use it. if not--i'd sell it "as is" and call it good. i'm half way though my 1956 bubble rebuild and have 5 grand into it already. but i won't end up with a porta potty interior either! have fun.

ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
i doubt you will ever make money fixing up a trailer and selling it. not just because of the expensive materials--but the time. you'd make more working at mcdonalds.
i used this EXACT analogy elsewhere on the forums (i think) or explaining it to someone else. i have LITERALLY counted the man hours and assuming we could get a certain $$ amt when sold, deducted costs and came up with an hourly rate of like, $2.33 an hour.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
on another thought - so long as you dont commit a cardinal 'airstream' sin, like modifying the exterior by painting it, cutting it up and attaching it to a Toranado, or turning it into a trade show display- then you can do as you please
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
I am very close to finishing the interior of our 31 Int reno. It has cost about $5000 in materials so far, but will be pretty nice when complete. Then on to deal with cardinal sin #1, stripping the paint off the exterior! Anyone know where I can find a good deal on a 70s Toronado? I might need to mo-ho the beast... NOT!
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote