Old 11-14-2004, 07:18 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How dusty is your vintage trailer?

I'm just curious, but I notice that our trailer seems to get very dusty inside after a trip. I don't know if it's old insulation dust wafting down, or just road dust that gets sucked inside while travelling, but when we get somewhere I break out the rags and wipe down the table, counters, and stovetop, and there's always a surprising amount of dust accumulated. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had the same experience with their vintage model?

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I'm just curious, but I notice that our trailer seems to get very dusty inside after a trip. I don't know if it's old insulation dust wafting down, or just road dust that gets sucked inside while travelling, but when we get somewhere I break out the rags and wipe down the table, counters, and stovetop, and there's always a surprising amount of dust accumulated. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had the same experience with their vintage model?
Stef,

Mine gets dusty just sitting in the yard Have you replaced you window seals, storage door, and main door seals yet? That may be part of where it is coming from. I also know that in the vintage units (at least mine) the fridge is not exactly sealed air tight from the back so you can have dirt and dust coming in around that area too.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Mine gets pretty dusty - if you have a vent that can be opened while traveling, you can open it up a bit and it will suck the dust right out.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Talking Palouse Loess

Quote:
I have often thought that the biggest dust culprit was the wheel wells not being sealed.
There are a hundred and one ways for dust to get in. Any crack bigger than .001 inche is suspect.
Living in Eastern Washington teaches you a bunch about dust infiltration. The talcum power dust known as Palouse Loess will get every where. There is no stopping it.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
I'm just curious, but I notice that our trailer seems to get very dusty inside after a trip. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had the same experience with their vintage model?
We've had the same problem on trips.....and ours is a 2004, so I think it's universal to new and old models. We were surprised also on the amount of dust accumulation on surfaces! I think we'll just have to live with it !
Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
The talcum power dust known as Palouse Loess will get every where. There is no stopping it.
A little off topic, but I've lived in the NW my whole life and always wondered - how do you pronounce Palouse?

Glad to hear it's not only the vintage that get dusted. I was afraid it was something wrong with ours. It was one of the things that made me think if we are going to keep using the trailer as much as we have this year, maybe we should look at a nice shiny new trailer. But if they all get dusty, then I'll quit worrying about it.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Stef, it even happens in my Burro and it's all double-wall fiberglass with bubble insulation rather than fiberglass batting. It's a fact of life towing trailers. We get it in the Behemoth as well. I don't remember getting it in the motorhome though... maybe it has something to do with the dust kicked up by the tow vehicle and then somehow getting deposited inside the trailer because of the slipstream air pressure differential or something... hunos?

Roger
Old 11-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
A little off topic, but I've lived in the NW my whole life and always wondered - how do you pronounce Palouse?

Glad to hear it's not only the vintage that get dusted. I was afraid it was something wrong with ours. It was one of the things that made me think if we are going to keep using the trailer as much as we have this year, maybe we should look at a nice shiny new trailer. But if they all get dusty, then I'll quit worrying about it.
Hope this helps

Palouse = Pah-loose (p-ls)

Loess = Loose (ls, ls, ls)
Old 11-14-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Have the maid clean it up! Your trailer came with maid service right?

Last time we were camped at Beverly beach in OR, a large 5th wheel across from us was being "serviced" by a local RV place. They were lubbing and tweaking systems, checking various valves and cleaning the trailer. Vacums, toilet bowl squeegee, glass cleaner and all. You gotta wonder what it cost...

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Whoa, no one's up and volunteered to squeegee my windows yet! I'll bet that costs a prety penny, but then so do some of those super fivers with multiple slideouts. By the time they get done sliding out, some of them are as big as the house we live in the rest of the time!

Actually, the dust is most annoying on the stove, because it has this metal wire grid that covers the entire stovetop to support pots above the burners, and it's very hard to get under and clean. The rest of the trailer is so little I can wipe everything down and sweep the floor in no time at all! So if the maid would just come do the stove...

Old 11-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Actually, the dust is most annoying on the stove, because it has this metal wire grid that covers the entire stovetop to support pots above the burners, and it's very hard to get under and clean. The rest of the trailer is so little I can wipe everything down and sweep the floor in no time at all! So if the maid would just come do the stove...
Stef... Saran Wrap is marvelous stuff! Cover the stove before you go, pull the wrap off when you get there. Voila... no more dusting the stovetop!

Roger
Old 11-14-2004, 04:15 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Ooooo, you're smarter than me! I'll give that a try on our trip this weekend. If that doesn't work, maybe I can build some kind of cover for it. I wish it had one of those nifty fold down covers like the big trailers have, ut maybe I could make something.

Old 11-14-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Stef,
Someone on the fiberglass RV forums came up with a nifty idea; one I think I'll try this winter... take a plastic cutting board of the proper size, and then use wood (I think I'll use Neverrott) of just the proper height glued under it to box in around the stovetop. The cutting board then rests on the perimeter of the stove, gives extra countertop, covers the burners and stovetop, and keeps everything clean underneath. I thought it was marvy!

Roger
Old 11-14-2004, 06:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Gary
It is not comming from the wheel wells. I cleaned and sealed ALL of the holes and cracks in and around the wheels but the dirt just comes in from under the bottom of the closet where it is the worst and that is where the water pump is located. You can feel a breeze comming up through that hole even when you are stopped. I suspect the water heater compartment and or the furnace is our source of dust.

« Rivets | Top | LCD TV's »