Old 11-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #15

Positive air pressure

Has any one ever tried to make positive air pressure in side TT while traveling?
If the air pressure inside is more that out side, how could the dust come in?
If you had a fan with an air filter (like an auto air cleaner) blowing in while traveling, that might help keep some of the dust out.

sgtdale

Old 11-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Pos. Air Pressure

stgdale,
Funny you should mention this. In reading this thread, I kept thinking of something that I was told after a couple of years of towing my Airstream.
I rarely end up on gravel roads, but sometimes I do; these are the only times I have tried this method of reducing dust infiltration (these are, also, the times when dust infiltration was the worst).
Before being informed of this method, if I knew I'd be driving on several miles of gravel, I would crack-open the rear edge of my front roof vent, thinking that would help suck-out air & dust from the coach ('didn't work too well).
Now I know to crack-open the FRONT edge of the front roof vent as this works as an air scoop while traveling, forcing air INTO the trailer from a high (realitively clean) air scource, creating positive air pressure within the trailer. This forces air OUT all of those little nooks & crannies (keeping the dust out, too) rather than sucking air & dust IN through them.
Mine have been vintage coaches, with metal roofvent covers, so I don't know how the more modern 'plastic' vent covers would hold up to this. But, since you need to only crack the Front edge open slightly, I would think this should work fine with a newer Airstream as well.
I have only done this on gravel roads as I haven't been plagued with much dust infiltration on hard surface roads but, again, I would think it would help regardless of road surface or speed traveled.
Acually, other than travelling on gravel roads, I have usually found that my trailer 'ships' more dust in the campgrounds (with everything opened up) than on the highway.

WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Gary
It is not comming from the wheel wells. I cleaned and sealed ALL of the holes and cracks in and around the wheels but the dirt just comes in from under the bottom of the closet where it is the worst and that is where the water pump is located. You can feel a breeze comming up through that hole even when you are stopped. I suspect the water heater compartment and or the furnace is our source of dust.
On mine there is a tank drain that goes through the floor at that spot. Maybe that is why you feel air there.
I took a tube of urathane caulk and filled all of the floor penetrations, worked pretty well.
My thought is you should use the flexible type of caulk to help the plumbing from rattleing apart.
Still don't have it all sealed but it is much better than it was.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Gary
The only hole not filled under my AS now is where the steps are. I don't know if the two slots where the step slides go into the body are open to the inside or sealed in a box. That's something I should check out.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:22 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

While reading these posts I started wondering about the nature of dust.

Below are parts of an article that came from the Seattle PI

Saturday, May 24, 2003

There's a little bit of us all in household dust

By JAMES CUMMINGS
COX NEWS SERVICE

There's a passage in the Bible that says we're all dust and to dust we will return. What you might not realize is that a little bit of us returns to dust every day. When you find dust around your home, a lot of it came straight from you in the form of skin cells that are constantly flaking off....
...Typically, when we think of dust, we think of dirt, and household dust indeed contains hard particles of minute sand and soil as well as plant and insect parts. Pets can also contribute to dust. Like humans, pets shed skin scales, and they also shed fur, cast off feathers, track in dirt and release dander into the air.

So every time we travel in our airstreams we leave a little of ourselves behind.
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:25 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Stef,
Someone on the fiberglass RV forums came up with a nifty idea; one I think I'll try this winter... take a plastic cutting board of the proper size, and then use wood (I think I'll use Neverrott) of just the proper height glued under it to box in around the stovetop. The cutting board then rests on the perimeter of the stove, gives extra countertop, covers the burners and stovetop, and keeps everything clean underneath. I thought it was marvy!

Roger
I went to the store but couldn't find a board quite big enough, so I got the biggest one they had. Brought it home and put some feet on it (pieces of a big dowel I had in the garage), and fit it to the stovetop so the feet hold it in place nice and snug. Looks like it should keep some of the dust off, plus it just looks nice, and I can always use more workspace. Thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3314.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9485   Click image for larger version

Name:	3313.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	9486  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I went to the store but couldn't find a board quite big enough, so I got the biggest one they had. Brought it home and put some feet on it (pieces of a big dowel I had in the garage), and fit it to the stovetop so the feet hold it in place nice and snug. Looks like it should keep some of the dust off, plus it just looks nice, and I can always use more workspace. Thanks for the idea.
Very nice Stef! Well done! Hope it works as well as it looks.

Roger
Old 11-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
We expect gourmet food from your kitchen this weekend! (Chop! Chop!)

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
No no, got to keep it clean for the tours

Old 11-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Thumbs up

Stefrobrts, That looks great! Beside gaining counter space it looks right at home on your stove top.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
Gary
The only hole not filled under my AS now is where the steps are. I don't know if the two slots where the step slides go into the body are open to the inside or sealed in a box. That's something I should check out.
Whoops!

What I really ment to say was seal the penetrations through the floor. Caulked from the inside.
Sealing the outside (Belly Pan) works to a point. The floor up is the most effective.

Sorry
Old 11-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #26
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Do you think the dust could be coming in from the AC unit while traveling?

Maybe something like this may help:

A/C cover
Old 11-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
No AC unit on ours, the window seals are new, and the floor is all caulked around the few places where drains pass through it (the water system is entirely above the floor in our trailer). I don't know where the dust could be getting in, except it is particularly grungy around the plastic wheelwells, so I would suspect that is a prime suspect. Still, both wheelwells are contained under cabinets, so how come when I take a trip I have to brush all that dust off the table and counters? You'd think it was a regular dust-storm in there while travelling! That's why I was wondering if it was insulation in the ceiling that was disintegrating and drifting through the cracks to cover everything in the trailer.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:09 PM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
so I would suspect that is a prime suspect.

steph

try pulling the wheels and spray the entire wheel well with aerosol undercoating, you may seal all of the seams and stop the dust.

the stuff is cheap, about 3 bucks a can. can't hurt to give it a try!

john

« Rivets | Top | LCD TV's »