Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
How does this work?

When I got my Airstream it was totally gutted and I had a whole lot of stuff that I'm trying to piece back together to get an idea of how this Airstream should be fixed on the inside to suit me.

I'm starting by taking all the scrap stuff that I have and reassembling it to see what might go where and how it looks, feels, etc.

A number of these things I have no idea how they work so I thought I'd try here..

The first picture is just eye candy; the front section. I built this shelf thing and put together what I had that would fit as far as a couch and stuff goes. Have to love the green color anyway.

The next picture is the fold out table. I thought there would be a hinge where it attached to the wall.. and there is a hinge, but it doesn't attach to the wall. It has a hook thing that looks like it hooks into something. What might that something be/look like?

And the third picture.. not a good one, is a rock guard that I got ahold of.
I'm missing something here as well.. as you can see the L shaped thing from the top juts rearward toward the trailer and it and then up and back away from the trailer and curls down. The Trailer has a rail that is shaped like a C with the opening forward. They don't fit together. Can you say what I need here?

Thanks in advance.
~Bro Man Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 4.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	138682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	138683  

Name:	Photo 255.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	138684  

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel the fold up table connects to a corresponding hinge on a cabinet. Some models it will be on a cradenza on the roadside and on others it will be on a small cabinet curbside forward of the door. That cabinet will have a door that opens inward from the door edge to allow for folding patio chairs to be stored in it. The same cabinet also holds the stereo on a flip out door. Do you have either cabinet?

The rockguard should have the same C hinge as the one mounted on the trailer. Is this the rock guard from the trailer or did you get it from somewhere else?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Hey Chris. You always come through for me dude.
I have two cradenzas. One is about 10 feet long and the other is about 6 feet long. I can't get to them right now to check them out.

I got the rockguard from someone else. This guy has an old tradewind that he uses for a hunting cabin and the rear floor was rotted out and I replaced it for him (labor) for the rock guard. I think the trailer may have just had an awning on the front. the brackets for the arms are higher up than where the arms for the rock guard would attach. I wonder if there is a hinge that is independent of the rockguard and attach area or is the hinge a part of one or the other or there is no hinge. I might have to find everything except for the actual rockguard and don't know what those things might be.

You are just racking up those Airstreams. Awesome.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel the long one shoild fit roadside between the bulkhead wall for the fridge and the front gaucho the smaller one will be more like 4ft and fit curbside between the entry door and the gaucho. My lift uptablemounted on the curbside unit because I have a wrap around L shaped gaucho that fits all across the front and up the roadside to the fridge bulkhead wall.
The rock guard you got is it curved and large enough to cover all three windows up front? I'm not sure but you may be able to buy a section of that C hinge and attach it to your rock guard. I'll get some shots of my set up today and post them here later.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
guard

These are better pictures of the rock guard and the channel on the trailer. I can sort of get the rock guard to slide in the channel if I turn it upside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 256.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	138733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 257.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	138734  

Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel that is the way the rock guard installs. I think you have the right one.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
The answer is....
The rock guard seems to slide perfectly into a piece of channel that the windows slide into.
So I'm going to say that the channel that the rock guard slides into is the same as the one that the windows slide into.